ORU Straight Axle Conversion... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ORU Straight Axle Conversion...

I know Ive posted about this topic (twice?) before. But, just out of curiosity, ORU sells custom Dana 60's and rear 14-Bolts for the straight axle conversion. Do I really need these axles? (they are extremely expensive) I dont want the massaged axles if thats all they are, seen Dynatrac sell them for alot cheaper! So are they beefed or have they been modified such as spring perch locations and such so they will fit on? Whats the deal? I know I should e-mail ORU about this, but Ive heard rumors and might think they'll just take advantage of me and say yes I need to them. They also take a while to respond. Thanks.

BTW: Started my Skyjacker 2.5" lift today, think I made good progress for my first lift. Got shocks off and took off Sway bar connecting links in just under 4 hours, took a while for sway bar links because they were bent (jumping?), and ended up just whipping out my dads Milwaukee Sawz All and cut them off. Thats about it. Sorry for the life story!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ORU Straight Axle Conversion...

I would only buy the leaf spring hangers from them. They have figured out the details so you can use 73-87 chevy front springs and what ever lift you want-I think just doing the straight axle will give you a 2" lift with stock chevy front springs. I would wait until I located a Dana 60 out of a late model F-350 ford (Single rear wheel-not a dually). I have seen these go from $600 to over $1500 depending on who selling them. As far as the 14 bolt-I can find them for $150-400 depending on year and gear ratios. ORU employees are hard to talk to-they know everything!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 04:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'd say try to find a local offroad shop that could do that. I know in some parts of the country you can't find a place like that, but I'd try. ORU is a bunch of asses. They want like 700 something for some brackets and a little bit of hardware. That would be like 150 anywhere else. It's kinda like they know the secret, and they aren't going to tell you unless you pay for it. Dynatrac makes only Dana axles, so no Corporate 14bolt FF, but their axles are at least the same as ORU's axles, if not better. Not to mention they will make them so that they work perfectly with your application. I'm planning a solid axle conversion, using a D60 front, 14FF rear, enough lift to clear 35x12.5R16's, ORD 4" shackles in the rear, Rancho RSX's, and lots of other stuff. They told me $15,000! HELL NO! I totalled up the parts, and they don't come to $7,000, even if I got a bad deal on the axles. $8,000 worth of work, I think not. Guy I work with knows places that do good quality custom work, think I will talk to them. That and ORU being rude to me the minute I start talking about anything other than their usual lift, no thanks. I may not be a mechanic, but I know what I want and how I want it. No thanks. If anything I would just buy the damn brackets. I say wait a while, I bet soon others are going to start coming out with solid axle conversion kits, and the prices will all start to drop.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 09:48 PM
Veteran

Ok, Im with AJMBlazer on this one (we seem to both think the same way about this IFS to Solid Axle swap anyway[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Forget about ORU, I have heard nothing but bad stuff about them. And like he said those brakets are not worth no $700. When I do my straight axle conversion or 4wd conversion I am going to get it fabed up my self. I have been going to alot of truck pulls in the area ( I actually drove a packer at one last night for 8 hours, talk about a fun job with the best seats in the whole place) anyway.... I have got to know 2 guys really well after talking to them both at 4 pulls now. Both of them have GM trucks and each of them have 2 trucks, one in the Super Stock 4x4 and one in the Modified 4x4. On the Super Stock trucks they all run on normal GM frames. Both these guys are running 98's and they both have D60's up front. One is a coil set up and the other is leaf sprung.

Anyway, getting back to my point. When i do my conversion I am going to get one of these guys to do it. They know what there doing and there stuff works. I have seen that a ton of times already and not to many trucks are abused as much as pullers. Im not sure where you are from but if you have any truck pulls in your area its an exellent place to start at. I have not seen on 88-98 GM at a mud bog yet that had the conversion.

Good luck....Ryan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree that the ORU kit seems like a big RIPOFF. That doesn't look like $750.00 worth of stuff to me. As far as the axles are concerned, think about the fact that your axles are some of your most important components so you might as well get the best if you're going to do any wheeling. Go with the 1 ton gear. You can get 'em for a lot cheaper if you go to a junkyard or find a 1 ton truck to take 'em off of. All of the places I've found online are asking between $1500 - $2000 per axle. I heard you can get 'em for under $400 apiece at a junkyard. Big difference.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 04:58 PM

I AGREE!!! ORU is a Rip off!!! at the max there kit(if you can even call it a kit[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]) is maybe worth $250!!!
For $750 it should at least include the springs (whatever height you want) and a cross over steering.
Actually if they want to call it a "kit" it should include EVERYTHING except the axle!
And then have another "kit" that even includes the axle! let's see from ORU about that would be around $10K [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Have one of those tractor pull guys make you a nice 4link stronger and better for less money!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok-where do I start? For a Dana 60 front, find a late model ford f250 or f350. As far as the 14bolt, I would check local yards, they came in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for I think as far back as 88.

As far as ORU, those guys can eat my shorts. They are *******s on the phone, with insane pricing. If you live in California, check out a place called Cal. Super Trucks in San Bernardino. They have a web page too. They have an awesome rep, and do excellent work. Otherwise, I would have a local shop or do a kit yourself. All you really need is a tape measure, a torch, and a welder, and some 3/8" thick steel. I don't need to make it sound that simple, but that's all spring perches are. Good luck.

Rhino

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 08:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know what would be great? If someone sold templates. I would gladly cut my own metal and fab my own pieces. Why wont someone do that? They would be great for people who are on limited budgets and dont have tons of cash like me.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 08:47 PM
Veteran

I highly doubt anyone in there right mind would make templates for you to copy. A better idea would be to just go and make up your own. It really isn't that hard and a while ago I actually started to draw up my own on CAD. Where did I get my idea's from???? well lets just say that the ORU web site has some pics of the 4 main brackets that are pretty detailed. All I did is find out where they would have to go on the truck and take measurements like how thick the frame is and the distance between points and there ya have it. Just draw it up on the computer to scale and print it out.

If I were you though I would just get a custom shop to fab up a good coil/link set up.

Good luck...Ryan

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 11:36 PM
Mud in my Veins

Hey Rhino, can you give us Californians any info on how to contact the place you mentioned in San Berdo? Thanks.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode