More new engine questions....paint and oil? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

More new engine questions....paint and oil?

Fianially got my 350 short block together after being jerked around by the machiene shop. Im waiting on the extra $ for the vortec heads but was wondering a couple things in the meantime.
What color would you guys recomend to paint the block so that any oil leaks will show up. I was thinking of a simple black crate motor look, but If I do have any oil leaks I want to be able to find them. Red, Chevy Orange, GM blue?

Also what weight oil would you guys recomend? I was talking to a Castrol Rep. at the State fair and he said after break in he would use a 20W-50. I thought it was kinda heavy, but he said that it wouldnt drain off so it would be good on start up and the heavy oil would be benificial for a truck engine that was hauling and luging around alot of the time. Im going to break it in with conventional Valvoline and switch to fully synthetic Mobil after a few K miles.
Thanks,
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 02:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: More new engine questions....paint and oil?

I do not agree with the 20W50 oil. I use 10W30. I paint my engines black, disapates heat best. As for finding oil leaks, black is not a friendly paint color to help out. You could go flat or low gloss black, the shine of oil would help find the source of an oil leak.

I have a couple recommendations to help reduce the chance of oil leaks. The Vortec heads will use the center bolt valve covers, I recommend using the original equipment GM valve cover gaskets with the center bolt valve covers. The center bolt valve covers do not leak oil as bad as the older valve cover design did! I also recommend using a new aftermarket design, one piece oil pan gasket, there designed for the older Small Block Chevy engine blocks with the two piece rear main seal, and can be used with either left or right side dipstick location. Check with Fel-Pro or Detroit gaskets for part # of the one piece oil pan gasket. If you check with a local parts store for an aftermarket one piece oil pan gasket for a Small Block Chevy, you will get some very strange answers and looks. The reason for the very strange looks and answers is because there is not a make, model and year that Chevy used the one piece oil pan gasket for. A very thin bead of silcone RTV goes a long way to help prevent oil leaks. A glob of RTV is equal to a sorry job. Be sure to use some RTV silcone on the inside of the slotted grove of the harmonic balancer before putting the balancer on the end of the crankshaft. Even GM uses a small amount of RTV to seal the wood druff key on the cranshaft. It's also a good idea to use redi-sleeve on the end of a used harmonic balancer. Usually a used harmonic balancer will have a groove from the timing cover seal. The redi-sleeve will sleeve over the worn groove.
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode