to spool or not to spool - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 10:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

to spool or not to spool

Ive got a 79 blazer with an 8.5 10 bolt up front. Ive got superwinch hubs and a modified NP203. I dont do
alot of rock crawling. My rig is mostly snow and mud driven. Im trying to make up my mind on wether or
not to use a spool in the front. Spool vs. Limited slip vs. open. I need to input what do you guys think?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 11:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: to spool or not to spool

You'll break something with a spool-I'd leave open or go with limited especially in snow/ice

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 04:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: to spool or not to spool

With a spool, you will have a very hard time turning, with the front axle engaged. A locker will still give you differantial action, but still be harder to turn than open. I run front and rear lockers in a high horse short wheelbase Jeep, and have come to the conclusion that, the only people that complain about lockers, are those who don't have lockers. IMHO, get lockers, adjust your driving style for road conditions, and leave the lockerless vehicles behind. Stay away from spools, they really have no place on a street or trail machine. I ran a spool on a street/strip car, and wore out rear tires in 1000 miles. I know that has nothing to do with the front axle on a 4x4, but a locker is a better solultion, and lockrights or EZ lockers really aren't very expensive, especially for the 10 bolt GM.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode