Which synthetic oil? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Which synthetic oil?

my new engine is up for its first oil change and i want to run synthetic oil in it. which brand is good to go? and what kind of mileage is the norm between oil changes?

Shorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 09:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which synthetic oil?

I have had good success with Mobil 1 syntetic. My truck runs much smoother with the synthetic than with conventional oil. However, it is very expensive compared to regular oil. The oil filter is double cost and the whole oil change & service is about $55. I changed it after about 5,000 miles, they say it is good for six to seven thousand.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mobil 1 is the only thing your alowed to use in the newer corvettes and most of the top end Europeon Sport and luxury cars. I also read in consumer reports (like 2 years ago) that Mobil 1 was really a better oil. I was just at Wal-Mart and was reading the back of the new valvoline synthetic oil and it said the that it approved for corvettes. I am trying it since it was on sale. I'll let you know if the truck blows up or not.

Mudsick <font color=red>'99 Silverado</font color=red> <font color=blue>'79 Blazer</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 11:07 AM

I use Mobil 1 (the fully synthetic stuff, not the regular dino juice made by mobil)... I end up changing my oil at around 3000 miles still although I would say it really depends on what kind of conditions the truck experiences, like if it's really dusty or you like to submerge the truck in water, it's a good idea to change it more often (at least it seems like a good idea to me)... Incidentally a Purolator Pure One oil filter happens to be a good choice, and make sure you steer clear of anything saying Fram on it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I don't have time to find it now, but I'll post that link about the filter info if you'd like it when I get back...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've always been a die hard Synthetic Mobil 1 fan. Recently I've been talking with Kevin who has been an oil expert for over 20 years. He sent me this MS Word document which shows LE (Lubrication Engineers) Synthetic out-performing Mobil 1 Synthetic on a certified Falex wear test.

Pennzoil Fail N
Mororcraft Fail N
Western Auto Fail N
Valvoline Durablend Fail N
Castrol GTX Fail N
Mopar Pass 19
Valvoline All Climate Pass 17
Total Quartz 5000 Pass 17
Phillips 66 Tropartic Pass 17
GM Goodwrench Pass 16
Mobil Pass 16
Honda Pass 14
Toyota Pass 14
Havoline Formula 3 Pass 14
Mobil-1 Synthetic Pass 12
Quaker State Synthetic Pass 11
Lubrication Engineers Pass 6
(Synthetic)

The lower the number, the better the oil protects from wear.

In the Falex Pin & Vee Block Wear Test, a rotating steel pin is compressed between two steel blocks with a V shaped grove in each. The test specimens are immersed in the test oil. The blocks are loaded against the pin with a force of 350 lbs. For a five minute break-in period. After the break-in period the load on the rotating pin is increased to 600 lbs. The load is maintained at this level for 15 minutes. At this point, the wear on the pin and blocks is evaluated by counting the number of “teeth” on the wheel used to apply the load. A wear depth of 0.001 inch corresponds to 14.410 teeth on the loading wheel. The test is started at ambient temperature and the sample oil temperature increases from frictional heating. This is somewhat like “Cold engine start,” which produces the highest engine wear rates.

Mobil 1 did have the best Oxidation TFOUT where LE came in 2nd. The oxidation TFOUT isn't as important as the wear test above but should have a high number.

Mobil 1 509
Lubrication Engineers 481
Other oil TFOUT scores:

Mobil 1 is still a great oil but I think LE may be a better a choice.

As of now, LE is not sold in stores but can be purchased though outlets like http://www.mag-hytec.com/. The price is almost the same as Mobil 1.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
Attached Files
File Type: doc 18-192988-5w-30Falexgraphresults.doc (23.0 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 12:56 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I always use Mobil-1 as well. Haven't found anything better.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 04:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

About 4 months ago I posted a similar post to yours, I also asked one about oil filters. Do a search and you will find it. On this site, www.coloradoK5.com, and www.truckworld.com about 90% of the people recommended Mobil 1 oil and filters. They cost like 5 bones for the filter and about 4.25 per quart of oil. Costs more, but excellence is expensive. The Enterprise-Rent-A-Car I work at is in a Porsche dealership, and all the Porsches run Mobil 1. I'm very pleased with it so far. Now if I'd just get a new oil pan I wouldn't leak so much of it...........

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

sounds like Mobile 1 has an excellent following. i'm leaning towards the Mobile 1 Tri-Synthetic 10w-30. thanks for the input. oh yes, hey sandman, what not Fram? i've always used Fram's Double guard oil filter, so please, enlighten me.

Shorts
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my dad got me the mobil 1 for mine, but the ac delco filter, is this going to effect it much? we just switched from ?schaffer? oil and we have to change it again after about 1000 miles to flush the rest of the old oil. would it hurt to wait?
JPC GMC Z71

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 05:44 PM

RED Z TRUCK, The AC Delco filter is almost the same as the Mobil 1 so don't worry about it.
There is also no point in changing your oil after 1000 miles you are just wasting your money[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Just change it at 3000 like normal. You are not doing any harm by not having 100 percent synthetic in there. To tell you the truth you will probably NEVER get all of the regular oil out, but there will be less and less after every oil change.
Regular oil is NOT some destructive monster that is eating away at the externals of your engine, there is nothing wrong with it, just synthetic is better.
SHORTS, I don't think you should use a synthetic oil on a new engine! I would put some mileage on it first, at least 6K, and let everything get good and seated. Then switch to a synthetic
Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode