10 bolt diff cover sealing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 08:50 PM
Matt S.

10 bolt diff cover sealing

OK, I posted a question about this before, but anyway. I'm going to change the diff oil on my '97 10 bolt. Since it's weaping around the bolts, I'm going to remove the cover and replace the seal. My question is do I go with a gasket (shown in the service manual), RTV, or both? The manual shows a gasket with no mention of RTV anywhere. I can't seem to get agreeing stories from people as to what would work best. Anyone's advice would be appreciated!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 09:12 PM

Re: 10 bolt diff cover sealing

Hmmm. OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same question you asked before, just worded differently?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That's OK, I understand that you just want to get your facts straight before you dive into this. This is cut and paste from my response to your last post-

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I don't know if it's really expected, but it isn't really unexpected. As for gaskets, generally I just use RTV on my diff covers. Lay down a nice bead on the pig, let it sit for 10 minutes or so to "skin", then bolt the cover on. Make sure the old gasket is completely scraped off and clean both surfaces so they're free of oil before putting the RTV on. Also, make little circles around the bolt holes to make sure they it doesn't leak around them, and DON"T OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS. They're just holding the cover on, they don't need to be ultra tight, if they are it can cause the cover to warp and leak. Tighten the bolts down like you do lugnuts, that is, don't go in a circle around the diff, snug one, cross over to the opposite bolt, go back to the bolt next to the first bolt etc, etc. After they're all snugged up, then go back and tighten them. Yikes, that was a $10 answer to a $1 question!

<hr></blockquote>

I stand by this, I've installed many diff covers with this method and have never had a leak. This is also the method that the rearend shop I go to uses. The only time I have ever had a gasket installed on a rearend cover was done by the dealer on my Z28, and guess what? It leaked. I replaced the gasket with RTV, and no more leaks! It's important to follow the method above, especially the meticulous cleaning and allowing the RTV to "skin".

Hope this helps.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 04:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can use just RTV as shaggy mentioned, it works great! but as he said, you do the bolts in the criss-cross pattern, and DO NOT over tighten.
if you just happen to like using gaskets, laydown a bead on the housing and press the gasket on, then lay a bead on the cover abd bolt it up. i have used both methods and they have worked.

knife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 07:21 PM
Matt S.

Evan,

Thanks for the info and being patient!

Matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 07:45 PM

MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! Inspect the cover when you get it off, a lot of times someone over tightened the bolts and dented in the cover around the holes, and this is why it is leaking. You can un-dent it by tapping it back flat with a hammer (Notice I said TAP) If you put it back on dented/warped it will leak again and it won't matter if you use a gasket or RTV or both!
Also when ever I put a tranny pan, or a rear diff cover, or valve cover, any "tin" peice back on, I don't use a ratchet, I tend to over-tighten[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img],
I use the screwdriver type handle with a socket. Good luck, it should be no problem [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 07:52 PM

Good point, Scoob. Hiow's the sig now?

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 08:00 PM

I still don't see it, I bet it is my server here at work! because everything is running REAL SLLOOOWWWW
I'm going home, talk at yall monday!
Are you sure Chevy's arnt faster because of where the distributer is???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode