305...powerful enough? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

305...powerful enough?

I'm trying out this 305, it used to be a boat engine so it has like 225 hp. And a 4 chambered carborator, what should I do, get this engine for like $200.00 or wait and get a 350 out a '66 chevy that 10:1 compression ratio, and its pretty nice, but I'd have to put it all together.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 07:23 PM

Re: 305...powerful enough?

What are you putting this into and what do you want to do with it?
HP is not as important as torque in a 4x4.
Also 10:1 compression is not very attractive for a daily driver, espesially when you have to fill up with Premium! although it would be great at the sand drags!
So it all depends on what you are building?????

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

An '82 Chevy K20 Silverado, I'll have to get back to you on how much torque it has.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Junk the 305. It's a piece of crap. 350's are a dime a dozen, for a little more, you can get a 383. Mounds of torque. Smoke the tires all day long. As far as your compression ratio, for a street motor, I'd get it down to 9-1, but I wouldn't run over without aluminum heads. For a truck motor, I would get a mild maybe 300hp 350, and put the big gears in it. If you really want the balls, go to a 454 or 502.

Rhino

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm....well, as a student, who doesn't make a whole lot of money for gas.. I dont really need a 454. And I dont 4wheel it a lot, I just want an engine that can handle a 4" lift and 35" m/t tires. The engine isn't a regular 305, it has like 350 lbs.ft. of torque. Oversized pistons, and some more I think.. My dad knows more about it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 12:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The engine that I said was a "350" is actually a 396.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 09:46 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>A 396 is a big-block & though it would bolt in your truck, if you didn't have one stock, you'll need all the little brackets & pulleys, etc. in order to make it work. There's no doubt a 396 would be a lot different than a 305, but for $200 a running 305 looks pretty damn good to a guy on a budget. I did the same when I was a student. Had a nice 400 that let go (in my '56 Chevy pickup) & needed an engine cheap & quick. Got a stock 305 out of a Camaro for $130 that needed a water pump. Added the new pump & dropped it in (changed over to a 4-barrel intake from the 400) and it did fine. My 0-60 times went from 6.0 to nearly 10 seconds, but then again my mileage improved from 16 to 20 (2wd with 3.08 rear gears & TH400 automatic). And it was still plenty peppy. A marine 305 will likely run as well as a stock 350 & if that sucker is complete, $200 is pretty tough to beat. If it's high-compression though, premium fuel will be a must. One thing about a 305, you can always remove it later for a 350, 383, 400, or even big-block with little trouble.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 09:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It's really a matter of your budget. A 396 with 10:1 compression is an impressive engine package, not so great for gas mileage. One of the reasons GM built the 305 was for gas mileage. In the early 80's auto manufactures were required to meet a fleet average miles per gallon. The 305 will get just about 2 more miles per gallon than a 350. 305 are not that great on perfromance. With the correct combination of parts, the 305 can be impressive. It just figures that with the prices of a Small Block Chevy parts, the 350 is a real bargin for dollars per horse power! Buy $600 worth of Small Block Chevy parts for either a 305 or 350, the 350 will make more torque and horse power. It's this dollar per horse power that seems to get the 305 a bad rap! If you can get a good reliable running engine for your truck on a limited budget, and gas mileage is a concern, use the 305.

My 82 GMC pickup had a 305 from the factory. When the speed limit was just 55 MPH the 305 would get about 17 MPG. The 82 GMC pickup with a 350 would get about 15 MPG. The 82 GMC pickup with a 454 would get about 12 MPG. Driving any of the pickup engines options at 70 MPH dropped the mileage down almost 3 MPG. So take into considersation the type of driving your doing with a pickup to decide if your 305 has enough power. The stock 305 is not a good engine to tow a travel trailer with at 70 MPH.

dave

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The biggest problem with the 305's was the intake/carb setup, especially the computer ones. I put an Eledbrock aluminum $89 intake with a 600 carb($189) and got much better mileage and tons of performance back. Works well for a budget. Then I got hungry for more power and went to 350.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys but wouldn't the marine engine need to be converted for a normal vehicle? Usually when you build a boat motor, you use components that are designed for certain RPM's and loads a boat would see. I always see "Marine Use Only" when I see a catalog certain engine parts. This includes cams, carbs, oil pans, and ignition (different timing curve). Just something to think of.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode