tire size step up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 05:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

tire size step up

I have a 99 4wd yukon and I want to go from a 245/75/16 to a larger tire maybe a 285. I have been told by the dealer that I can only go up one size or it will mess up my computer. Is this true and what can I do to the computer to accept the new tire size? thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 10:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: tire size step up

You're not really going to mess up the computer. Your speedometer/odometer will be off and I think the transmission shift points will not be what they should (not sure on that one though). Other than that you should be OK. I have a '97 K1500 and went from the 245's to 33's and haven't adjusted the computer. If you want, the dealer can reprogram the computer for the new tire size for around $75 or you can buy a Hypertech programmer for around $300. I'm planning on reprogramming my computer when I put 35's on.

Harmsie
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 11:14 PM

The dealer is just saying that but it doesn't mess it up much. If they tell you it messes up the shift points and you have the 4l60 they are already messed up because it never shifts at the right time and it always hunts for gears.

90K5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 12:30 AM
Mud in my Veins

Okay, my truck came factory with 265/75R16's. Now it has 285/7R16's. My speedo is off a little, and my odo is too. Shifts a little different, I think a little higher. One of these days I will get off my lazy butt and get it fixed. That's assuming I have the cash around. Really, you could drive it around and not notice to much of a difference.
Oh yeah, and about the tires. You can fit up to a 285/75R16 (33X11.25R16) on the stock rims without any rubbing. They also fit if you put them on aftermarket 16x7's with the same backspacing as the factory rims. RyanB tells me that the 305/75R16's (33x12R16) fit on the factory rims to without any rubbing, and he knows what he is talking about, so I'd say they will work too. They will rub if you put them on 16x8's or 16x7's with different backspacing from the stock rims. My 16x8's had both, and the 285/75R16's rubbed bad before I put the lift on. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 08:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does any body know if the 285/75R16's will rub on the new Silverado. These tires GM gave me are horrible.

Mudsick <font color=red>'99 Silverado</font color=red> <font color=blue>'79 Blazer</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 06:09 PM
Veteran

Yeah, The 285's will fit your truck just nicely. As for the 305's, I just posted about that in Tex's post and you can check out a pic of my truck on it with the 305's. Nice tire and look really good seeing there so wide.

Good luck...Ryan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 06:12 PM

Mudsick what brand tires are on your truck now?

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doz...your computer will not be messed up. Your speedo will be off a little, and the tranny will shift a little higher. I have a friend with a 98' Tahoe, and he put 285's on his. runs fine. shifts fine. Rides a lil stiffer (he says)

Rhino

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the standard Good Year Wrangler ST's and size is 245/75R16. They have a street tread. I have a limited slip in the rear and everytime I try to go onto anything loose like dirt the backend gets all squirly and it just sinks if i hit any mud. I am thinking of getting BFG AT's in 285/75R16.

Mudsick <font color=red>'99 Silverado</font color=red> <font color=blue>'79 Blazer</font color=blue>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 09:39 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>You might consider instead going to a mud terrain if you're sinking in mud. The larger 285 will help somewhat, but a BFG AT isn't really any more aggressive than what you have now.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode