Suspension lowering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Suspension lowering

the vehicle in question is a 78 K20 on 39" boggers. it has an 8" suspension lift containing lift blocks on both front and rear. i want to run 35" tires. given driveshaft angle alteration and such, would it be feasible to remove the lift blocks and run smaller tires?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 09:45 PM

Re: Suspension lowering

Definately get rid of the blocks. They dont belong in the front and its an accident waiting to happen. That will also help your driveline angle.

90K5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea the blocks are definitely dangerous up front. if you remove the blocks front and rear (how big are they?) if they are 4" that would be perfect for 35s and would improve your whole drivetrain situation. i think the biggest thing you would have to change is the steering. by lowering it again, you would prob have to redo some of the stuff. not sure exactly - im sure some of the other guys on here have more expertise with older trucks like yours...

Mike ~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Chevys Rule! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 10:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

will i have to undo any driveshaft alteration if i removed the lift blocks (assuming they are 4" maximum)? also, how much would it cost to remodify the steering modifications?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 12:11 PM

No one here can DEFINITELY tell you what needs to be undone on your truck or the cost, because they would have to SEE what has been done in the first place.

#1 Front blocks are very dangerous! you need to Eliminate those! Now whatever size they are, is what needs to be removed from the rear.
Example: If the front are 4" and in the rear you have 8" blocks you will need to replace the rear ones with some 4". Or you could have 6" spring w/2" blocks or stock springs with 8" blocks, or 2" springs and 6" blocks, or any combination[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
#2 Driveshafts they had to have been altered! depending on how much they were lengthened and how much it comes back down, will determine if they need to be re-altered. I would "Guess" if it only drops 2" they may be OK. You won't know for sure until you try to re-install them after the suspension is dropped back down.
#3 Steering mods, Again they may be OK. Depending on what has been done, and how much it comes down.

A good place to start would be measure the front blocks, and measure the rear blocks. also tell us if they Stacked two different blocks in the rear (I saw a dodge yesterday with 2" and 4" blocks stacked, held together with the u-bolts[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])
Also find out the gear ratio! (if they are 4.88's or 5.16's you are not going to want to go down to 35"s, hopefully they are 4.11 or 4.56![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode