I need some advice... (not really truck related) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I need some advice... (not really truck related)

I hope this question isn't too inappropriate, but I am at a total loss and I KNOW that you guys can help me out. A guy friend of mine has been doing a lot of work on my truck and he has saved me a ton of cash in the process. For instance, he just replaced my tie rod ends and ball joints and is going to install my transfer case this week. He even picks up the truck and then drops it off when he's done!! The problem is that he won't let me pay him[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]!! I've only had to pay for parts. I want to do something nice for him, but I don't want him to feel awkward[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img].

So here's my question... should I buy him something? gift certificate to Home Depot or what? What would be an appropriate gift or is a sincere "thank you" good enough...? Help -- I need a guy's perspective!

Cheryle

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]weehaa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 06:41 PM

Re: I need some advice... (not really truck related)

well you wanted some help from a guy's perspective, but, i hope you don't mind from another gal. i know, see if you can non-chalanty find out what tool he doesn't have, then get him that tool and a 6 pack [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

or you could take him out to dinner or something

Shorts
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 06:58 PM

I would have to lean towards maybe a gift certificate from his favorite parts store (or another place he likes to buy things from) if they have them as being a good choice, or a tool he doesn't have yet... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Or a case or two of his favorite brew... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My July article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

oops! Sorry, Shorts, I didn't mean to exclude the gals[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]! I'll take any advice I can get!

Cheryle

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:23 PM

Mmm... let me see...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The problem is that he won't let me pay him!! I've only had to pay for parts. I want to do something nice for him, but I don't want him to feel awkward.
So here's my question... should I buy him something? gift certificate to Home Depot or what? What would be an appropriate gift or is a sincere "thank you" good enough...? Help -- I need a guy's perspective!

<hr></blockquote>

NO I better not say it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

What are the rest of you guys laughing at?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
YOU thought it too![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Actually a "gift certificate" and a case of his "favorite brew" should say Thank you ! very well[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Hey, now, none of that! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Cheryle

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:31 PM

sorry[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Was funny though!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:48 PM

Hmmmm. I see a couple of possibilities here. Possibility #1 is that <font color=red>Cheryle's got an admirer</font color=red>. If both of you are single (or at least he is), I'd say that could well be the case. In that case, you and I BOTH know what he wants[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img](Kidding!).

The other possibility is that you've got yourself a real good friend that just likes to help you out because that's the way he is. I have a couple of friends that are like this, and for the most part all they want is your friendship. Well, that and to hear you say "oh my god! You're such an amazing mechanic! What beautiful handiwork!"

If you really want to do something nice for him, don't go the gift certificate route, get him something that shows some thought. I think that gift certificates are like saying "I wanted to buy you something to say thank you, but I was too lazy to actually think about it" (no offense intended, I've bought gift certificates before). As is best with most gifts, buy him something that he wouldn't normally buy for himself, or that he never realized he needed. Do you ever watch him work on your truck? Anything that he might like for his shop? A new creeper, one of those neat little stools on casters so you can roll around hwile you work? What are his hobbies? Like I said before, just get him something that he wouldn't buy himself!

On an unrelated note, Shorts is female[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]?! Hm, you learn something new everyday... A college student from Texas who likes to work on her Chevy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 12:11 AM

hey shaggy! that's me [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] a female from texas who likes to work on her truck....cool huh [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] i guess the screen name Shorts has kept my identity under wraps huh?

Shorts
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 01:14 AM

Yup, your secret's out. Now you'll suffer the same fate as Shewheeler - instant responses to all of your posts from the men here![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Out of sheer curiosity, where did the name Shorts come from? Are you like 4'6" or what[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]?

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode