swapping a Z71 IFS into a ZR2 IFS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Addict

swapping a Z71 IFS into a ZR2 IFS

Hey, you big truck guys, I have a 99 ZR2 with the 8.5 1.625 rear bearing factory 1/2 ton fullsize rearend. I looked at a Z71 front diff the other day. It has the big 8.25 gear which I can get 4.56's and they will hold up for me in the small truck with my built V6. I was wondering if ANYONE new of anyone else that had known someone to do this swap? They both have the 6 bolts in the half shafts and the autotrac front end and by the way my front end is 2" wider than a regular S-Series too. I just know I can't get 4.56's and want to run 35's or bigger with a 2" body I have and a tubular upper a arm swap for 3" lift as well as a 6" suspension kit from Maximum Altitude. If you want to see some badda** S-Series trucks with the factory IFS and 38's go there and look at my post with pics I put there. Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 02:36 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: swapping a Z71 IFS into a ZR2 IFS

Why not just swap a solid axle, like a Dana 44 or Corporate 10 bolt, in instead? Much stronger, and probably easier. I've never heard of the swap you speak of, but seen several solid axle swaps on S-10's. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Addict

The reason is for now, the truck only has 14,800 mi on it. Still under warranty. Also, it's paid for. I dodn't want to take a brand new truck and butcher it up. If I keep it for a few years, then maybe the swap. I don't really need the strength of a SFA since this Blazer sees very litle offroad, not to say this might not change after it gets older. This is a ZR2 which has a completely different IFS which is bigger, stronger, and wider than a stock S-10. But, still uses the 7.2 ring gear. If I were to do a 350 swap the IFS would be scrapped immediately. If I were to go to these extremes I would do a truck insted of a Blazer though. Thanks anyway, but you really had the right answer for anyone. I just want an option for bigger gears to run bigger tires, Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 01:11 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I've often wondered about the possibility of swapping a 1-ton IFS under a 1/2 ton IFS GMC - only reason being I wanted a reg-cab shortbed with 1-ton running gear. Decided it would probably be easier to order a one-ton with bed-delete & have it shorted to fit a shortbed. They do make Cab&Chassis models in the 117" wheelbase, but the frame is totally different. Yeah, I know, different subject, but similar [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 04:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with AJMBLAZER, do the solid axle swap that would be sweet in a ZR2, try looking at a Dana 44 from an early Bronco, I think they are around the same width as an S-10. Do it right the first time and you will be happy. I would keep the 6-popper, swap in the Dana 44 slap on some 35" swampers with 4:88 gearing and BAM you have a little Jeep eater - but hay that's just me. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS - swapping in a solid axle is NOT a hack job, it is the way it should have been done in the first place.

Steve Fox
90 3/4 ton K5
http://coloradok5.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I guess hack job is the wrong choice of words. How many people do you know take a Brand new truck and do a solid axle swap? If I had an older truck I could justify that. But this is a $27,000 truck with only 14,800 mi on it. If I did do the swap it would be a 44 for sure with a coil spring setup like Mark Halls truck. If I keep this Blazer for a long time, then I will probably do a SFA. But I'd rather do all that to a truck instead of a Blazer. Thanks for all the replies from you full size guys, Tom

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, I understand, it was hard when I cut my fenders for the first time, hey what is the address to that S-10 web site you were talking about.

Steve Fox
90 3/4 ton K5
http://coloradok5.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do the physical measurements yourself. Measure the width of the two center sections, diff clearence, etc. That will answer your questions about the full-size IFS fitting in your truck.

Also look into differnt computer readings being sent to the hub actuator. You may need to alter wire paths, etc.

Question, isn't switching front ends "hacking up" a new truck anyhow. I am sure your front-end warranty will be void after this swap.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Addict

It's www.S10-4X4.com. A lot of good stuff there but it's hard to get new ideas. It's an old site with awesome info though. I've been a member there for over 3 years. A lot of how to's and pics and instructions from the actual manuals there too. Tom

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Addict

My ZR2 to date

Here's a pic or 2, more are posted on the other forum here for S-trucks of the engine & stuff)when it was stock before the body lift. I'm trying to work out the details to do the suspension lift once and only once. Since the frame is wider and the suspension is different than a regular S-10 things aren't really available yet. I have an Airaid Tbody spacer, JBA nickle plated headers, K&N Gen II kit, MSD 6A, ASP power pulleys, Flexalite elec fan, 160* Tstat, and Hypertech tuning to date. I'm waiting on the Comp cams 1.6 roller rockers that are 2 be released at the end of next month, MSD 8.5 mm wires, a Granetelli MFS, and duals out the back with Supertraps to get the back pressure right for the V6(The blazer has a gas tank in the rear so I can run duals straight out without worrying about the tank on the side in the way). This Blazer runs like a fu****** bat outta H*** 2wd right now and will pick up more before I'm through. I get 19MPG and pull around 235HP. I hope to top out between 250-260HP when I'm through. I thought I'd do it right and get all the power stuff right before bolting on a lift and big tires and gears. This way I can enjoy the power and gas mileage instead of what other people do. They do the tires and lift and leave the engine stock with stock gears and it kills the truck till you upgrade the engine a lot even with a V8 and the gears. Hell, a stock 350 pulls less than 300HP and weighs more than my V6 too. If I can get 250-260HP I'll be happy on this short Blazer. I'm taking my time getting this all done right the first time. Alot of other people buy stuff, run for a year and upgrade. Then do it again. A waste of money and a collection of wheels, tires, and engine parts left over too. I'm going to run Weld XP truck wheels 10" and TSL SSR 35x12.50's. The combo is only 85lbs to pull, lighter than the stock wheels & tires, so I'll have an improvement there over stock. This Blazer WILL be a daily driver and somewhat of a mall cruiser, but I will be able to FLOG it in the bush when I feel like it. No rock crawling to beat it up, but mudding, fishing, and trailing. Thanks for all the replies from the full size guys!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-190796-99ZR2.jpg (92.6 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode