97 Tahoe, disable 4x4? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

97 Tahoe, disable 4x4?

My wifes truck has for about the 3rd time now been driven around the dry paved streets while in 4wheeld drive because the switch is in a pretty easy place to get accidentaly pushed.

is there a relay, or a fuse I can remove to disable the 4wd mode?

I thought about removing the plug from teh actuator on teh Tcase, but id have to remove the plug on teh front axle disconnect also, i figure there must be one circuit that energizes both of these.

I cant find any reference in my owners manual

Thanks in advance for any help.

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 12:03 AM

Re: 97 Tahoe, disable 4x4?

first of all, you have to show her how to work 4wd and why it shouldn't be used on paved roads. if she still doesn't, or won't understand 2wd and 4wd....then tell her you'll take her toy away so she doesn't break it...uh, i mean, so that you can be assured of her safety.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

you can remove the actuator from the tcase. without anything going through the tcase, you have no 4wd.

Shorts
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 02:18 AM

ATTENTION ---- NO OFFENSE INTENDED TO ANYONE! THE FOLLOWING IS AN ANECDOTE FROM http://poseur.4x4.org/poseurs.html!

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I was working at a Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealership in the Vancouver area of British Columbia (lots of rain, little snow and all the roads are paved), when a woman drives up to the dealership with a frantic expression on her face in a brand new Blazer her husband had bought her. "The engine is making a loud noise and it won't go very fast. Can you fix it before my husband finds out?" "Yes, let me take a look inside before we put it in the shop" The vehicle was in Four - Low with the dashboard indicator on. "Isn't that the button for four low beam headlamps?" She asked. I swear to you this is a true story. Then there was the time the salesman asked us to install the missing four wheel drive button onto a used two wheel drive Jimmy...

<hr></blockquote>

I thought that this was pretty funny, hope you guys enjoy it.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 02:31 AM
Mud in my Veins

This isn't quite what you are looking for, but it would fix the problem, and remove the possiblity of a later problem. The actuator (of the two types from 88-99) in our IFS systems have odd habits of not engaging and coming out of 4x4. So what you may want to do, is get the Posi-Lok device out of a JCWhitney catalauge. It is a cable engaged mechanical actuator for our IFS. That way, there's no electronics to short out, no hydraulics to freeze, and no vacuum to leak out. All you do is shift the vehicle into 4hi or 4lo with the dash button, then pull out the handle a little, turn it some, and you are locked in 4x4. It won't fall out or turn off when you turn the vehicle off. It replaces the stock unit. Costs less than 150, and is real easy to install. I'm thinking about getting one for my truck because my solid axle conversion keeps getting farther and farther away. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i know i have seen a 4x4 fuse in the fuse block - i would imagine that by removing it, the truck wouldnt lock into 4wd. just a thought - not sure though

Mike ~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Chevys Rule! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally, I would recommend teaching her about the four wheel drive system. I believe that setup has some lights that come on when in four wheel drive, and it should be pretty easy to tell if it is locked in when turning on pavement due to the bucking and hopping that usually occurs. Besides, what's the point of having a 4wd Tahoe if the system is either disabled or she doesn't know how to use?

6.2Blazer
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the help,but not the assumptions that we fail to understand why or how a 4x4 works, guess again!

I was hoping there was a fuse,breaker or Relay to disable the dash switches.

she (we)have owned numerous Jeeps, none had this cheesy ass push button electronic 4x4.

she KNOWs why it isnt good on pavement, and the 3 months out of the year here I get possible snow Ill reinstall the relay.

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 11:37 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You could always grab a twinstick t-case or fab one up and do some cutting... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

But on a more serious note...

This will require either some crawling around behind the dash, or a shop manual with some wiring schematics. You could take a look at the back of the buttons, trace the wires and you might be able to find a simple solution for quickly cutting the power going to the actuator... This is only a possible suggestion but maybe a couple of toggle switches in the "4 hi" and "4 low" wires (I think they're seperate considering i think it's seperate buttons), and just reach up under the dash and flip them and then when you don't want it flip it back, you could even move them out into the open so you don't have to crawl under the dash each time you want to enable/disable the 4x... I'm not sure if this is the best or even a real option, just a thought to ponder, or maybe crawl under the dash and take a peek... In fact, the main power or ground wire going to the actuator might be a good place to put a relay in fact, just wire it up to a switch on the dash and that way you don't actually have to pull any fuse or relay (and if you're anything like me, pulling something that size is running the risk of misplacing the fuse or relay in the 9 months of the year you don't need it)...

Just some random and probably mis-informed advice... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My July article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What about just installing some type of cover over the switches to keep them from accidentally being hit. Several guys in our club use some type of military style toggle switches that have spring loaded cover over them. Obviously, the cover has to be raised up in order to flip the switch and then will flip back down over the switch.

6.2Blazer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode