6" or 4" with 35" tires? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

6\" or 4\" with 35\" tires?

I dont know what would be better, a 6" or 4". I don't have enough to spend on bigger than 35" tires, so what would look better, safer, etc?
Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 09:31 PM

Re: 6\" or 4\" with 35\" tires?

Either would work, but if you think maybe you'll want bigger tires in the future, go with the 6". Also, if you want to run the real wide 35s, like 14-15 inches wide, the 6" will be a better bet (if you're going to wheel it very hard, otherwise 4" should be fine). A 4" lift will have a bit better ride due to less arch in the springs, and will also require a bit less steering correction.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you go with 35"s I'd definitely get 6" of lift.

Uhh. . . Wait a second. . . After checking your profile I just realized I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Disregard that last post. . . I think I need to go home now. . .[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Typically, a 4" lift requires a little less work because sometimes going to a 6" lift requires lengthened driveshafts and more steering correction. The 4" will work with 35's, but as already mentioned, the wider you go the more clearance is required. I'm running 35x12.50's on 10" wide rims with a 4" lift and had to trim the bottom edges of the fenders for clearance. I now only have a little bit of rub on the inner fenderwell when fourwheeling with the swaybar disconnected.

6.2Blazer
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i got 6" with 14.50 wide thornbirds (thoses knobs stick out) and i only rub when i back up and turn the wheel and goose it. although i had to do some trimming on the front bumper. i would go with the 6" because even if u go with a skinner tire u definley won't rub. snakes.

1996 Z-71,6"Pro-comp susp. lift,35"Thornbirds,hyper tech PP3
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 06:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe this will help, Mike. I just posted pictures of my Tahoe with the 6" SuperLift and the 35" Baja Claws. I did trim the black plastic valance in front, but that's it! There is some minor rubbing on the back lip of the front fender on tight driveway turns, but it's no big thing. I attached a smaller picture file, but more are available to view at
http://www.geocities.com/c5neb/tahoe6.jpg
Change the number 6 to 8, 9, 10 or 19 to see the other shots.

Carl
'99 two-door Tahoe; 6" Superlift; 35x12.5x15 Baja Claw Radials;
15x10 Centerline Hellcat chrome; Flowmaster dual exhaust
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-191011-Tahoe13.jpg (89.6 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 03:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is the reason why I backed off[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] in my previous response because he's got an earlier model which may do just fine with a 4" lift. Later models I'd say definitely 6" for 35"s[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 03:08 PM

I've got a 4" with 35 x 12.5 on a 77 k10 and it works fine for my application. No hard core stuff (yet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). There seems to be plenty of room for bigger tires, but the fenders have been trimmed (a lot).

Cheryle

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]weehaa!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 05:02 PM
FWP

Depends. with a 4" on my 81 with 35 12.50 BFG Muds, I tore the crap out of the outboard lugs while wheeling one day, and this was with the rear of the front fenders trimmed back about an inch. When the wheel is turned and the spring compresses, the tires moves towards the rear of the truck, and can contact the fender (even with extended bump stops installed). I wound up putting a 1" body lift, and trimming more metal as close to the fender support as I could get. A planned 6" in the beginning would have avoided all that extra work there. Oh well, live and learn. Sorry for the long winded post, Just hate to see you repeat my mistake.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 06:30 PM

I'll just add that wheel backspacing affects how much the tires rub. If you get wheels with very little backspacing (tires stick out more), the tires are much more likely to rub since when they turn they kind of "swing" around, causing the outside edge to end up closer to the fenders.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode