K&N Filter Woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2000, 10:39 PM
Matt S.

K&N Filter Woes

My truck's a '97 Z71 with the Vortec 350. I cleaned and re-oiled my K&N filter today after only 20,000miles. It got dirty fast since I've been running without the cold-air boxes top (lots more power). The instructions said they are easy to "over-oil" and I sure did. Oil poured out all over the work-bench while it was soaking. So I wiped the worst of it off and installed it back on the truck since I had to drive it. Anyone think the extra oil can do any damage? It runs just fine, even better actually since the filter is cleaner, but I wonder about the extra oil f**king up the sensors, etc if it gets sucked in.

Thanks! Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: K&N Filter Woes

I think if you let it soak in and most of the excess run off of it you should be fine.

Mudsick <font color=red>'99 Silverado</font color=red> <font color=blue>'79 Blazer</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

seems to me that as light as K&N oil is, whatever got sucked in got burned off in the first mile or so...problem solved...ya think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't have personal experience with this, as my truck is a TBI, but I have heard that some folks who overoiled their K&N filters did experience problems with their mass air flow sensors. Getting the oil down to a proper level prior to installing the filter would be wise.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 07:50 PM
Matt S.

Thanks for everyone's input. The mass air-flow sensor and temperature sensors are my biggest worry since they're right in the air tube after the filter. I have driven it for ~30 miles so far both easy and hard driving and haven't noticed any problems. If anything comes up I'll be sure to post it here!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode