Broke TH350 bellhousing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Broke TH350 bellhousing

Arrrrrrrrh! Broke my second bellhousing last week. Is it just me or is it a common problem in 4X's? Both of mine started to crack at the little contoured area opened up for the starter. The front pump on both trannys promptly took a $#!t. The second one was a slow torture test because the pump slowly failed over a couple miles. This lowered the hyd pressure and cooked the clutched. Nice huh?

I just bought a new "Ultra Bell" bellhousing. It's SFI spec'd and does look the 600 times stronger than stock. It bolts to the pump. I just hope it doesn't rip out the front pump screws.

Chevota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 04:33 PM
Blazer1970

Re: Broke TH350 bellhousing

Were you using 4X4 trans. cases? They are thicker and stronger than 2WD models. GM 4X4s also use a cast aluminum inspection cover, and the inspection cover has bosses for tie rods that go from there up to the motor mounts. This stuff is there to resist the extra torque that is applied to the trans case from the transfer case. On older GM 4X4s, there is a cushioned mount that attaches the side of the transfer case to the frame, instead of the braces to the inspection cover. You need something like this to avoid trans case breakage. Your new bell housing (scatter shield?) will most likely serve the same purpose.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'88 Chevy PU, 4X4, 350, 700R4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

I didn't know the there was a different case available. I was thinking of getting a 700R someday, are their 4X cases stronger too?

Chevota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 06:08 PM

The TH350 and the TH400 "4X4" definitely have stronger thicker cases and the tie rods that Blazer70 described (which incidentally are torqued/twisted/tweeked? in the opposite direction to resist the torque between the engine and the transfer case) but I don't know about the 700R I would think so though???.
By the way replacing your inexpensive easy to rebuild T350 for a 700R would in my opinion be a mistake,
The ONLY gain would be the OD and most people don't use it anyway!
The fuel savings would NEVER pay for the swap-over expense.
If you just want a stronger overall tranny a T400 would be perfect! (you ain't gonna hurt that![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2000, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Scoobydoo:

I do want the OD. I like to cruise around 80-100 on long drives, 4000-5000 rpm with the TH350. Plus I would like the lower first and second gear. The only reason I haven't done it yet is I don't trust the 700's strength.

Chevota
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2000, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you do want OD and want all the strength, get a 4L80 which is basically a TH400 with OD. They are a little costly but you can get them from online salvage yards and I recently heard you can steer away from the transmission computer with a manual system this company sells.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2000, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Well, I checked a coupla years ago on the 4L80, it was $2500! I'd rather have a Gear-Vendors OD because I'd just break the 4L80 eventually.

I did check on the heavier 4X case, The place I called sells used/new hard parts to trans shops local. They laughed and said if I called around I might find one in town somewhere.
Translation: $$$$

Chevota
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2000, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Ok here's the deal with the Ultra-Bell bellhousing. I cut up my trans to fit it on, looks trick. I slap in my converter and try to bolt it to the motor. It won't fit! the bellhousung is so thick there is no room for the converter! Sigh..... It was a smaller 11" converter too. So I had to have the truck cuz I'm in the middle of a move, so I put in a 10" converter. Real fun pullin' a loaded trailer with 3000 stall. Sigh.........

Chevota
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I recently checked www.car-part.com and found a couple 4L80's going for around $1000. Sill lots of money for a used tranny.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode