Convert 2 to 4 WD... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Convert 2 to 4 WD...

The 90 chev is a 2wd truck. My dad got me thinking about converting it to a 4 wd with solid front axel. What all is involved in that part of it. Just some cutting and welding?? I know about the transfercase and other mechanicals, does anyone sell a kit to convert to a solid front end? I think it would be cool, alot of work I know but I think it would be worth it. Anyone ever try this?
Thanks for anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 01:04 AM

Re: Convert 2 to 4 WD...

A kit to convert the IFS 4x4 Chevy to a solid front axle was just released, but I don't think that it applies to 2wd. I think that converting a 2wd to 4wd is still as custom of a job as it has always been. The good thing about that is the fact that you can do it really custom and do coilovers and a fourlink instead of plain old leaf springs, which is what the conversion kit for the 4x4 uses. The leafs would be easier to use, just not quite as fancy. Good luck with it if you decide to undertake the project, conversions of that sort are not easy and require a lot of skill and patience to perform well. Let us know what you decide to do. A friend of mine converted his '65 Chevy from 2 to 4wd, it took him about a year or so to complete it.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen the conversion done. The front axle is easiest from a Ford donor, so the pumpkin is on the drivers side. As far as a transfer case, I would get a 203 or 205. Another thing that you need to think about because your truck is a '90 is the computer. I know they use a different ECM between Auto/5spd trucks, and between 2wd and 4wd trucks. It would really be easier to buy an IFS truck, but if the means are not to be, then conversion would take at least 3 weeks fulltime.

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 10:22 AM

The white dually in September's "Four Wheeler magazine was a 2WD to start with, you may want to look it over!
Also I think you only need the ford front d60 if you are converting a IFS 4X4 that way the front pumpkin ends up on the same side as your current front driveline?
As a side note, I looked that truck over again and does anyone else think the rear blocks are kinda hokey [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] they must be 12" high! can you imagine the spring wrap that would cause[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]! don't get me wrong it is a NICE!!! truck but it does need a little more finishing, and he obviously does romp it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Those rear blocks were almost the first thing that caught my eye. My Fourwheeler doesn't get sent to my summer address, so I didn't go in depth at the newsstand. I just couldn't help but sneak a peek though.

Back to the 2wd to 4wd. I would say to look into a front end set up similar to the Dodge front end since you are pretty much starting from scratch. In actuality, if the computer doesn't get in the way, I think you could do some trick upgrades and do it easier that tearing apart an IFS truck.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't forget the most important thing, stopping the truck - I know that some trucks had ABS on them back then - I had an S-10 with RWAL (Rear Wheel Anti-Lock). I don't know if the early 90's Chevy trucks had it, but if it has 4-WAL, you might have to do a little bit of custom mod to the braking system, too. If both the brake lines come out of the brake master cylinder and lead directly to the proportioning valve (no ABS), or if you have RWAL , you should be all right. If both lines come out of the master cylinder and go into a 'magic box', with four lines coming out, you have 4-WAL and more work to do to convert it to a 4x4.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 05:20 PM
Veteran

Ok, I a have a couple points to say here about the whole converting your 90 2WD truck to a 4x4. First of all I am almost 100% sure the Off-Road Unlimited Kit will work on your truck because the brakets fasten where the body mounts are and on the 88-98 the body of a 2wd truck and a 4wd truck are the same. The only thing you would have to buy extra would be the custom shock hoop if you want dual shocks because the shock mount on the 2wd is different than the 4wd.

Now as for which axle you need it all depends which transfer case you want? What are you wanting to do with your truck? if you want to do mostly off roading and little highway I would put in a TH400 Transmission because you can't use your 2wd one anyway because of the tail shaft. You won't have the OD but who cares if you arn't on highway much. If you are on highway you could install a 4L80E but thats electric and I am sure it would be hard because right now in your truck you only have the 700R4. Then T-case wise I would go with a NP205 because its the best you can get and will take loads of abuse. Then seeing your running a 205 you will beable to run a GM or Dodge front axle. I would go with a Dana60 and a 14-bolt FF rear. By doing all this to your drive train you will be full 1-ton and you will be able to install 38"+ plus tires. Now as for what Shagy was talking about lift wise, seeing your frame is set up for coils already I would go with the coils and it would be almost a 1 of a kind because most of the straight axle conversion trucks are leaf sprung.

Anyway good luck.....and what I just told you is everything I hope to do to my truck one day so tell me how it goes.

Ryan

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You sure can use your 2wd transmission, all you have to do is take it to a transmission shop and tell them you want to convert it to a 4 wheel tailshaft. I knew a guy and he did it for me for free so I can't imagine it costing a lot, somewhere around $50? probably cheaper if you give him the extension housing to keep for inventory. And while you are at it you can have a shift kit installed and have the tranny checked out for any problems.

Kevin

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 09:19 PM
Veteran

I wasn't trying to say that you couldn't use the 2 wheel drive trany. Sorry if it looked that way. I know you can add the 4wd tail shaft. I am unsure of the cost also. But what I was wanting to say was that I wouldn't really want to put the 700R4 onto that drive train. If it were me I would put the TH400 or even do the mods so it will be the TH475 (thats the right # right?) On my truck or future truck when I do the swap I plan on running at least a 38" tire probably a 39.5". So there for with that large of a tire and a big block creating the power I could run a higher ratio and still have lower RPMs even if I were on the highway.

Anyway, sorry about my little mistake and good luck with the swap.

Ryan

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry if it looked like I was picking apart all your information, now that I think about it upgrading to a TH400 would be the best way to go...Who cares about mileage when you have 38" tires? I think I might want to do this conversion one day myself (2 to 4wd) since I have an older chevy with a decent drivetrain and bondo body. I definitely would like to see how it turns out.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode