New Wires - Which Plugs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2000, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

New Wires - Which Plugs?

i'm ready to get a tune up done on my truck. i'm going to use msd super conductor wires, but which plugs should i use with them? oh yeah, i'm going to change out the O2 sensor as well...i just got a new engine, so it might as well read that info clearly...anyway, how do it get it out of the pipe? do i just unscrew it? it's one of those heated O2 sensors w/ 3 wires and it is located right before the cat. how much does a new sensor cost?

Shorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Wires - Which Plugs?

I don't know what year truck you have , but I have a 1994 TBI 350 and run ac-delco rapidfires and Moroso Blue Max wires. This works great in my application.

I haven't had to change out my o2 sensor yet and don't know costs. My Haynes manual suggests that it is difficult to remove when the manifold or pipe in which it is installed is cold due to metal contraction. After warming the engine the procedure suggested is 1.Disconnect the neg battery cable.2.Raise and support the truck on jackstands.3.Disconnect the sensor wire.4.Unscrew the sensor. Use of antiseize compound on the threads is recommended.

Hope this helps.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

i have a '94 k1500 as well....and haynes and chilton must shop at the same store...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

what kind of mileage are you getting? my mpg dropped off by 2, and i can feel the truck starting to hesitate ever so slightly....so, it's time.

Shorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 11:17 AM

"AC Delco Rapid Fire" plugs are great! lots of spark, and last a long time, every bit as good or better then splitfire and a little cheaper![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img](around $4 each).
O2 sensor is usually around $30 (what a rip[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img])
Like everyone said when your exhaust is warm, disconnect the neg battery cable, unplug the wires from the sensor, unscrew the sensor, most of them can be removed with a box end wrench (I think yours can be) but they do make some that have a weird "star" looking nut (like 10 sided or something[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]), for those you have to buy a special socket, but I seriously doubt you will have that type.
I have only changed one O2 sensor and it made no difference at all, but at least I knew one thing that wasn't bad![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
You probably know this, but you should replace your Cap and Rotor! this is MUCH more likely to make a difference, than the O2 sensor.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 01:30 PM
Pooh-Bah

Nothing beats a NEW plug. I run Autolite or AC cheapies. No mater how much you spend, a plug is always vulnerable to fouling. And they will always foul before they wear out.
You ever hear the story about fishing lures? 10% are designed to catch fish, the other 90% are designed to catch fishermen!
Use the Autolite and change them more often. Not that they don't last as long, change them because they are cheap and like I said, nothing beats a new plug.

Chevota
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scooby is right about the cap and rotor. Accel makes a high quality replacement with brass contacts (ACC-8132)$18.25 from Summit. When I removed my old ones I couldn't believe my plugs still fired. Oems had 92K on them. BTW Summit is a first class operation. You can e-mail them with questions as to what will work on your vehicle and they respond quickly and accurately. When I did place an order after 3:00 on a weekday my order was waiting on my doorstep the next day around 1:00 having been shipped ordinary UPS Ground. I couldn't believe it. Even though W.PA isn't far from them this is still a personal mail order record.

Tune up seemed to be good for a 1.5-2.5 mpg gain. Its tough to separate out as I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor about the same time I added a TBI spacer. My usual "city" type mileage runs about 11.5-13mpg. Trips had been 15mpg+ but I haven't taken a pure highway trip lately to see if it has improved. Keep in mind that my beast is a Sub. Pickups of this year tend to do better.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

i called the dealer today about an new O2 sensor........$62.81!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] its one of the heated sensors w/ 3 wires. craziness!!!!!!

has anyone had experience with the NGK-V plugs? I called around today to find out who had what plugs....wally world, auto zone....yadda yadda yadda...they all basically had the same thing, but walmart has the edge on selection.

Shorts
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

oh yeah, i'm changing the cap and rotor too. don't worry, i didn't forget about that....i just haven't gone into detail on that part yet [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Shorts
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 07:06 PM

$62.81 ??? did you try checker, autozone, and pepboys?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shorts-

When I replaced my O2, it was about $60. Welcome to a heated O2 sensor. I think the wrench size was 3/4 or 13/16. Bosch makes a very good sensor. Autozone has them. As far as plugs, I think you can do no better than Bosch platinum for $1.89/ea. I ran the A/C Rapidfires for a while. No big deal, just pissed about 30 bucks on plugs. I also got the Champion truck wires. They have a ceramic boot, so the boots won't melt if you have headers. Accel does make a excellent cap and rotor though. I would also think about getting an ignition if you're doing all of this. I had an MSD6a, burnt out after about 2 years. My friends all have Crane HI-6 systems, with the box and the coil. They seem to work very well. My truck is a 94' Z71, and I've done almost all the bolt-ons, as well as chaging out the motor, tranny, rear-end etc. Any questions feel free to email me.

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode