stacking frames?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

stacking frames??

I was wondering if someone could explain to me the purpose of stacking frames and how to do it?? what do you acheive from doing this??

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 11:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: stacking frames??

<font color=blue>I guess you would gain height from this, but I wouldn't trailer a truck built like this, let alone drive it</font color=blue>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 02:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a fine example of frame stacking...

http://home.off-road.com/~jalbrecht/mt/tondra.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen one, 79 or so Chevy longbed 4x4 at a car show. It was interesting, but nothing I'd try. He had two identical frames on top of each other. The top one held his body, and drivetrain. The bottom, suspension and axles. It was big, but looked too top-heavy and too awkward to haul.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe some states lift laws have a maximum height for frame to ground. Thats the only reason I can think to do it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya up here in new hampshire we have that you can only be 30 inches from the bottom of the frame to the ground at the point where the rear bumper ataches. my questioning is because i am looking at getting a new truck and one has a stacked frame. also was thinking about doing this to my truck to gain a little more hieght. i would leave the existing frame there add the second one and set my body on that. leave the motor and axles right were they are.

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 09:57 PM
Veteran

Ok, how does stacking the frame work? Would there not be tons of gaps and stuff to fill? I doubt they would be a perfect fit together, Not even close to a Male/Female fit like you would see if they were meant to stack on top of one another. Do you have to fill all the spaces afterwards and how about making it all level???? The whole idea sounds a little to weird to me..but that thats just me.

Good luck though...Ryan

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 10:06 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Used to be a real common mod around here WWAAAAAYYYY back when. Guys needed mongo lift in order to negotiate deep water crossings. And the added weight of the extra frame kept them from getting pushed around too much by the current. Haven't seen anyone do this in a really long time (save a really bad IFS to solid 4Runner conversion using parts of a solid-axle frame). For reference, there was a guy at the Jamboree Nationals in '93 with a double-stacked Bronco ('78 or '79). Had 44's, aluminum rims, & no winch. Weighed 6,900 lbs - which was 1,400 more than the next heaviest truck we weighed among the mud racers (only the "street" guys were anywhere near this heavy obviously). Needless to say, despite a healthy 514", he was really damn slow.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode