Crew-cab needs diesel replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crew-cab needs diesel replacement

My dad's `82 Chevy 1-ton 4x4 crew-cab long-bed just blew a piston in it's 6.2L diesel after only 140,000 miles and he is thinking about either swapping in a 350 or just selling the truck for parts. Has anybody done a diesel-to-gas swap? The truck is a Scotsdale with a few dings and the usual rust around the bottom of the doors. The TH400 is fairly new. He already bought a replacement truck and needs at least $3000 for the old Chevy. He talked to the local dealership and they told him it would be about $9000 for a replacement motor. Would he be better off installing a 350, or would it be better just to sell the truck as-is and cut his losses?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 06:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Crew-cab needs diesel replacement

Where's pops located at? There's a guy on here, Ruben Zamora, not sure of the spelling, who is looking for one in the Texas area. Your dad could drop in a big block for less than the diesel they are quoting, and not much more than the 350.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My dad is located in Moscow, Idaho. Too far for a truck with a blown motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 07:42 PM
RolngThun

How bad is the piston? Normally they just crack right in the center. We change the one piston and send the customer on his way happy as can be. No sense scrapping a whole motor over a cracked piston.
A rebuilt 6.2 should be around 2500.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The dealer told my dad that they couldn't get parts for a 6.2L and that they just replace the 6.2 with a 6.5 instead of rebuilding the obsolete 6.2. The dealer was supposed to tear down the motor today and see exactly how bad the damage is. But, my dad has already bought a 1-ton 4x4 Ford Crewcab with the 7.3L and just wants to get rid of the Chevy.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 08:14 AM
RolngThun

If you guys decide you want to just change one piston just enough to make the truck drivable again. And want a used piston let me know. We have an engine just for that purpose. New parts are available aftermarket. You may want to check out that 6.2 page that is posted here alot. I don't have the address but others do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode