1 ton rear axle questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

1 ton rear axle questions

Okay guys, kinda looking at a different rear axle than a 14 bolt FF for the straight axle conversion. Thing is though, I really like the idea that even though I am only going to be running 35's, I could run 44's no problem. But the damn things are so HUGE, and I would have to wait until I do the entire front axle conversion because I can't run 6 lugs on the IFS and 8 lugs on the rear without a bunch of problems. Kinda like the idea of putting in a 14 bolt SF, with 6 lugs. It'll bolt right up, all I need is a new U joint. Then, when I do the solid D60 front conversion, I can change it to 8 lugs for less than a new diff. Meanwhile, I have a much stronger diff than the little 10 bolt now. Thing is, I just would like that added strength of a bigger axle. Are there any upgrades for the 14 SF? Axles, FF kits, anything? How strong are they really? I will put a limited slip in whatever I get, because I spend much more time on road then offroad. How about a Dana 60 rear? Are they SF or FF? Are there any D60's in 6 lug? If so, are they the high spline count ones, and could they later on be converted to 8 lug? Which is stronger, a D60 or a 14 bolt SF, I'm thinking the D60 is, but I'm not certain. Would a D60 front be stronger than a 14 bolt SF? I'm kinda planning things out, just finding the best possibilities. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1 ton rear axle questions

<font color=blue>I'm looking into something other than a 14 bolt myself, I'm not planning on huge tires (NJ DOT says nothing over 38"), 36s at the largest, so a 14 bolt is overkill for me. I only have a mildly built 350 so i don't need a 10.5" ring gear and the ground clearance loss that goes with it. I got a dana 60 a while back but its 16 spline [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] so I'm trying to figure out if it can be converted to 30 since I paid a decent amount of money for it and everything but the brakes is good. This would be a good swap. You would need to change the spring pad and shock mount location, driveshaft, and you would need a chevy rear junction block and new hardlines. It would be easier to put on a TSM disk brake kit. They key is finding a 76+ rear so your not stuck with junk like me. Or, you can get a pre-76 and chop the ends off, get a 35 spline case (theres a guy on the j**p board selling a rebuilt 35 spline for $200), and some custom 35 spline 6 lug SF shafts from Dynatrac or Mark Williams. Then Dynatrac can sell you the parts needed to make a dana 60 front 6 lug.
As for the 9.5" SF, it's pretty much even on strength with the dana 60 SF. There is only a 1/4" ring gear diameter difference and I think the shafts are not that far off either. To my knowledge, you can get a Detriot C-locker (very good on pavement from what I've heard), ARB, or Lock Right. I heard somewhere that Moser makes alloy shafts for the 9.5" rear, and you can also get disk brakes from TSM. This would be the best way because its a bolt in. On the other hand, if you built an SF dana 60 (not that hard from what Currie and Dynatrac have told me over the phone) you would have more differential choices and parts availability. Any other opinions? </font color=blue>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode