Tranny Cooler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Tranny Cooler

I am putting a tranny cooler in my truck this weekend. I have some questions. What lines to I need to hook it up to? I don't know if there is a factory tranny fluid cooler but there is some kind of a cooler under the first crossmember under the radiator but I don't know what its for. Also where should I mount my new one? Under the crossmember doesn't seem like a very good place. Could I put it in front of the radiator without losing cooling from the radiator? Thanks in advance.

90K5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 10:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tranny Cooler

The lines that you will hook up to the tranny cooler are the aluminum lines that are on the right side of the radiator. The auxilary cooler you are talking about is for your evaporator for your A/C. Lastly, mount the tranny cooler in front of the radiator. It will be the easiest install plus give you the best cooling performance in that location. Your radiator will still work properly.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

The one I got at Autozone is a Hayden but the only way to mount it is with these zip tie things. There has got to be a better way to do this. If anybody did it another way please tell me. I have it hooked up now and zip tied in place, but not for too long.

90K5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Well I worked on the cooler for like 6 hours and it still doesn't work yet. I hooked it up the first time and realized the fitting at the bottom of the radiator was messed up so I redid it and ran eveything a different way- to the stock cooler and then to the new one and it still pukes ATF when I shift. It come from the same line that caused the problem before so I'm thinking it has a hole in it but hoping it doesn't. It got dark and I had to stop working so I just kickedthe tools under the truck closed the hood and left. I think the keys are still in it. hmmm Oh well no one will get anywhere in it.

90K5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's problably too late but don't use the push thru the radiator tie things. I used those to mount my aux fan and they wore two holes in the radiator core. When I put my tranny cooler on I made some brackets and mounted them front clip. The cooler is about a 1/2 inch from the radiator and woorks great.
As for hooking it up, I took the lower tranny line into the radiator, took it off and put on the fitting that came with the kit and ran to the aux cooler. Then took the the other line from the cooler back to the line that I had taken off. Good luck

T2FE 90 Blazer 4"Susp+3"Body(Yea I Know)35x14.5 M/T's 4.56's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2000, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Well I started it this afternoon after I got off work and I had actually fixed it last night by tightening the clamp as tight as it would go and then some, I guess what I should have done in the first place. I didn't know I fixed it b/c it was late and I was tired and I said screw it i'll do it later. Today it worked fine. I haven't had a chance to drive it much but its not leakiing so thats good. I gave up on the zip tie mounts really early on and I didn't even know they went thru the radiator. I put some real zip ties on and mounted it to some factory holes. Its lined up and its about 1/2" to 1" away from the rad. Thanks for the help

90K5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode