10 bolt corporate or Dana 44? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

10 bolt corporate or Dana 44?

I currently have a set of corporate axles in my `84 3/4 ton. It's got a 10 bolt front and a 14 bolt SF rear. The gear ratios are 3.42.

I also have a Dana 44 front axle that I pulled out of my other truck a while back when I changed axle sets to get higher gears. The Dana 44 has 3.08 gears in it.

Here's the plan - I will be putting 35" tires onto the rig soon. I think that the 3.42 gears are going to make the truck bog pretty bad with the 35's, so I obviously need to upgrade running gears. I will also likely upgrade the axle shafts to something aftermarket that is a little more beefy than stock. Should I just upgrade the 10 bolt front the truck has in it now (4.11 gears, alloy axle shafts) or drop the Dana 44 into the truck, change the ratios, and upgrade the axle shafts in it?

Will I have to change carriers in the axles when I swap in the 4.11 rings/pinions?

Thanks for any info...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 12:47 PM
kona_joe

Re: 10 bolt corporate or Dana 44?

The Chevy axle will not require a carrier change. You can upgrade the 10 bolt to 30 spline if you install the aftermarket axle kit (Off-Road Design). They are both pretty much the same as far as strength is concerned, especially with the upgrades you have planned

Dana 44
2.72 to 3.73 - 30 Spline - carrier

3.92 to 5.89 - 30 Spline - carrier

Chevy 10 bolt
2.73 & up - 28 Spline - carrier

Hope this helps
KJ

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Corp 10 bolt c-clip
Dana-44 NO c-clip

Yea they do make eliminators for the 10 but they do state on the parts NOT FOR OFF-ROAD USE..
Disadvantage with c-clip is if you slide sideways into a rock the hit, the tire will send the shock through the shaft to the c-clip and snap.. OR enough power and hopping will cause the tapered end where the c-clip attaches to snap.. Narrowest part of the axle.. The problem is not the breaking but the fact that now nothing is holding your axle in.. The wheel and shaft will come sliding out.. On the Dana-44 there is a pressed in bearing and plate bolted in to hold the shaft in.. If you break the narrowest part on this axle (where it goes into the carrier) you can remove the broken pieces and still get out in 1WD or 3WD..
I just went through this exact dilemma but I had the small 7 5/8 10 bolt inn my S-10.. Another big minus for me.. I went with a Dana-44.. Rebuilding it now with 4.10's, ARB and disks..

ARRRGGG I just re-read the post and nioticed you said front.. NEVERMIND!!!!
-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 02:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front axles, which the original post was referring to, do not have c-clips but rather are a full-floating design.
Concerning the strength differences between the front Dana 44 and GM 10-bolt, the only real difference in strength is the 28 spline axles in the 10 versus the 30 spline axles in the 44. However, if you plan on upgrading to ORD chromoly shafts it doesn't really matter as the 28 spline chromoly shafts are already stronger than the u-joints so there is no reason to convert to 30 splines in the 10-bolt. Also, Warn no longer makes the front 30-spline 10-bolt axles so they cost extra to have them custom made and the rare factory 30 spline front axles are extremely hard to find (trust me). For the carrier change, if you are planning on installing a locker or posi anyway it's a moot point (a good aftermarket locker or posi usually beefs up the assembly), but if you plan on staying with an open carrier you will have to pay the cost of buying another carrier for the 44.
Or, as I'm sure someone else will say, buy a front Dana 60 which would already have 4.10 gears and stronger axles. The chromoly axles and gear change will probably cost around $800-$900........

6.2Blazer
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 03:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All front axles are FF, therefore no c-clips. Anyways, the 44 is just a hair stronger than the 10, not enough to swap over though, but I know that parts for the 44 are more abundant and cheaper.
Boss

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 03:22 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the axle tubes have a thicker wall on the Dana 44 which would give it a bit of an advantage over the 10 bolt. I'd say if you have both axles you might as well upgrade the 44. I believe the pinion stem is slightly larger also. It may be that it's just a hair stronger, but stronger is stronger, and you'll spend approximately the same amount of money on either one.

An added plus of doing the 44, you can put it up on sawhorses or something while you do the work so it's nice and high instead of sitting on the ground to work on the 10 bol twhile it's in the truck. You can also take your time since it's not in the truck right now and strip it down, give it a new coat of paint, replace the seals and all that.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Well, I guess that I'm a little baffled now. Let me see if I have things straight...

Front axle
I can swap the D44 3.08 gear set for a 4.11 gear set and will not have to change carriers. However, the D44 has a 30 spline carrier, so I will have a hard time finding 8-lug alloy shafts for it. I can upgrade the 3.42 GM-10 bolt to 4.11 but will have to change carriers. No problem finding alloy 28 spline axle shafts though.

Rear axle
I will remove the carrier and 3.42 gear set, which I will replace with a new posi carrier and 4.11 gear set. No problem - done it before. However, I won't have to replace the axle shafts because changing the carrier will "beef up" the whole axle and help retain the axle shafts better... doesn't seem to make sense; the axle shafts will be the same so no improvement there.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It seems like it might be easier to look for a set of 4.11 axles, then swap 'em. Sorry guys - a little scatter brained here today.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 02:24 PM
kona_joe

Front Axle:
The Dana 44 will need a carrier change. The 10 bolt will not need a carrier change.

2 Carrier Options
Dana 44 30 Spline carrier gear ranges from 2.72 to 3.73

Dana 44 30 Spline carrier gear ranges from 3.92 to 5.89

1 Carrier needed
Chevy 10 bolt 28 Spline carrier gear ranges from 2.73 & up

Rear Axle:
I think what they are referring to is that the carrier change in the rear axle will increase strength, due to the fact that the aftermarket carrier will be stronger (better quality) than the open oem unit?

KJ

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

kona-joe is correct about the front axle stuff. My previous message said that 30-spline 10-bolt front axles were hard to find because almost all front 10-bolts were 28 spline, only some '89-'91 fullsize Blazers and Suburbans used these 30 spline 10-bolts. If you are going to use the ORD chromoly front axle shafts there is no reason to convert the 10-bolt to 30 spline. All Dana 44 fronts were 30-spline and parts are very common, including the chromoly shafts.
For the rear, I honestly wouldn't think you need to upgrade the axleshafts in a S.F. 14 bolt since they are already pretty beefy 33 spline shafts. Replacing the stock carrier with something like a Detroit locker should increase the overall strength of the rear axle, plus it makes sure the C-clips don't get spit out (though I'm not sure how much of a problem that actually is).

6.2Blazer
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2000, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Problem is half way solved...

I just bought another truck that I am going to use for parts... late 70's full size 3/4 ton 4x4. It's already got 4.11 gears in a FF rear end and corporate 10 bolt front. I will likely still do the ORD axle shaft upgrade to the front axle. The other parts are just a bonus - rebuildable 4-bolt 350 (which I need), etc. The body is in pretty rough shape on it, so she's not going to be another restoration project (2 project trucks are already enough!).

I don't know what I was thinking on Friday when I made my last post - I forgot that the front axle shafts are two piece units with a u-joint in between. DUH! The rear "new to me" FF rear axle that's going into my truck will remedy the rear axle scenario, new shafts will beef the front.

Well, I think I have my work cut out for me now... lots to do and not enough time to do it before Early Goose opens Sept 1!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode