What is the max. temperature? (tranny) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

What is the max. temperature? (tranny)

I installed a temp gauge on my 4l60e. I have it in the cooling line going to the cooler. What is the maximum temp. the oil at this place should be? Thanks in advance.

YJ with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel
and A.J.'s fiberglass body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 02:20 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: What is the max. temperature? (tranny)

I've heard different stories, but basically the hotter it gets the shorter the life. At 200 or so it is supposed to last 100K and every degree more takes life to the point where 300 will take the life in minutes. I dunno for sure, but that's what the tranny guys say. Call B&M and see what they say. I know one time I exceded 300 I got a few more minutes before failure. Plus since water disolves clutches I think maybe the want you to run past 212 to get rid of condensation? Mine runs around 140-150 normally, clutches are ok 5 years now.
Also whan the tranny mfg's talk temp they're talking temp from the last cooler to the trans. Seems to me you would want to know the temp leaving the trans for a real #. What if you had a super cooler that cooled 100 degrees? You could burn the thing up and never see 200 on the guage!
Anyway, good luck!

Chevota
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not a tranny expert, but this is based on some discussions with some people who should know what they are talking about..
200 degrees max for sustained periods of time, 250 degrees max for very short periods of time
Again, these are the absolute maximum you should see for a typical auto trans. Keeping the temperature down around 170-180 would probably be the best.

6.2Blazer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 05:27 PM
FWP

How the heck did you squeeze that motor in a YJ? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Anyway, the logic on monitoring tranny temp is being able to cool the tranny off BEFORE it blows up. If you are monitoring on the outlet of the tranny (input to cooler) you are getting a good idea of the overall heat the tranny is producing. this should run around 140 anywhere up to 210, depending on the outside air temp, and driving conditions. If you monitor on the return back to the tranny (cooler out), you are seeing the overall tranny temp, and cooling efficiency of the cooler. Don't let more than 225 degree ATF get into the tranny return, you run the risk of the heat buildup pretty quick--- that's a conservative estimate, you probably could go higher, but..........

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

It wasn't easy putting it in but it isn't any bigger than a 454 and there are a few Jeeps with those in them. I tend to agree with all that has been said. I have had problems with this tranny before. That's why I put the gage on it. The other day after about 1/2 hour of 70mph driving it went up to about 260 degrees. Now it seems to slip a bit in first when it is cold. I'm just wondering if I did it any harm. Thanks again.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to wonder why you are running a 4l60e behind a diesel. That is too much torque for that tranny.

Also, does your transmission lock-up properly in third and fourth gears. This will help keep the transmission cooler. Third gear lock-up probably isn't neccesary or even optional, by it would benefit you.

Are all of the electrics to the transmission in place and hooked up to a computer. I know death will occur quickly in these trannys if they are not getting proper signals.

Lastly, don't keep the engine idling for long when parked because that will build up the heat in the tranny and take you a while to cool it down.

Sorry about the post, just kept getting thoughts.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion. This isn't in my jeep. It is in a full size van behind a 4.3. I really don't know if it is locking up right or not. And as for the electrical connection it is hooked up but don't know if it is getting all the signals or not. That is exactly what I'm am worried about. How can you tell if the converter is locking up and if the tranny is recieving the signals or not? Thanks in advance.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your converter is locking up (fourth gear since I know the application now), it will feel like an additional shift after you are in fourth gear (overdrive). It kind of feels like when the clutch is let completely out after riding it a while, if you can imagine that.

Your lock-up depends directly on your speedometer and your brakes. If your speedometer or speed sensor is not working chances are, your lock-up won't work. Also, there is a TCC Brake switch that unlocks the converter when the brakes are applied. If this goes out, the converter will not lock because the electrical circuit will no longer be a closed loop.

As far as other electrical signals, I believe the transmission would not work at all if additional inputs were not being sent.

This is only from my experience, so someone probably knows more about your tranny.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 12:51 PM

Shouldn't your rpms drop slightly when it locks up?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That too. I don't have a tach, so I just went on feel. It is hard to hear rpm's drop with the side windows down and the beer window open. Good point.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode