performance ex. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

performance ex.

Ok I want a louder ex. duel out the back with maybe 3" round, long crome tips with a deep rumble throughty sound but not anoying. what do you suggest it is 350 5 speed

88 1500 4X4 6 in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50BFG AT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 12:32 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: performance ex.

Flowmaster definately. 2.5" is the recommended width for a dual exhaust on a 350. 3" if it's a single exhaust. Flowmasters are good sounding and loud, durable, and a good value for a rather cheap price. I'd also get some good hi flow cats. I am going to use Car Sounds catalytic convertors. Seem like a good product. You can find hi-flo cats at any good exhaust shop that does hi-po stuff. If not, go to www.truckperformance.com and you can get them there. Also, I'd skip the straight out the back exhaust unless you plan on not taking it offroad. If you back into anything, CRUNCH!!! There goes those shiny chrome tips. I route my exhaust behind the back tires, then cut them off at a 45 degree angle downwards. That way less pipe to bash, and exhaust gets sent downwards and off to the side. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You may want to consider stainless steel tips if you are going to keep your truck for any length of time. You never know how good of quality the chrome is going to be and there is less maintenance for stainless steel. I have two Dynomax turbos on my '97. They aren't as loud as flowmaster, but they are louder than stock and have a nice rumble to them. I also have the stainless steel tips out the back. I was rear ended last winter and my tips being crushed was the first thing that I thought of. To my surprise, they only had a little bit of paint on the lower part of the outlets. The GEO that hit me went under my receiver hitch and that saved my tips. I didn't have any damage to my truck but the GEO looked totalled.

Harmsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 05:55 PM

For sure get stainless tips. I got chrome and totally regret it. They are so rusted and corroded, it's not even funny! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Cheryle

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]weehaa!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 06:56 PM
Veteran

Well seeing my truck is a 92 with a 350 and a 5-speed I might be able to help you out a little. I had a Flowtech Terminator muffler on my truck (3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet) then dual pipes out the back with 28"x3 1/2" Chrome tips. Sound was great and sounded really nice and I have yet to have a problem with the chrome tips. But 2 weeks ago before I went on vacation I decieded to do a little experiment and see what the truck would sound like with no muffler. So I went to a exaust shop and had them make me up a Y-pipe and put it on. It sounds really good, deeper and throughty than with the muffler and is still pretty quite when I am off the gas. It really rumbles when down shifting too and has a nice crack to it at ever shift, especially when I am hard on the gas. Its pretty loud when your outside the truck but in the cab its actually pretty quite. The truck sounds great now idleing and at start up. Now preformance wise I am getting the same GPM as I was with the Flowtech muffler (18 MPH with 4:10 gears and 35" tires). I am going to put my K&N filter back on the truck now to see if it makes in a little louder seeing more air can get to the engine.

One other point for you, the Y-pipe is about 1/4 the price of a high preformance muffler. I had mine done for $30CDN. and having it doesn't do anything to your emissions seeing its behind your cat. Up here in Ontario you don't have to have a muffler but they will nail you for a noise violation if its to loud.

Good luck....Ryan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been looking for flowmasters where should I buy? Boy they make like five different ones I want loud but not real bad lould if this makes any sense?

88 1500 4X4 6 in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50BFG AT

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Two chamber, center in/center out Flowmaster is a really good sounding muffler. I think for the sound range you are looking at, this would be the Flowmaster of choice.

I ordered mine from lamuffler.com, but Summit, Jegs, etc. all have them. Heck, you might be better off to look for a local shop though, I think Flowmaster prices are all relatively the same no matter where you buy them.

Also, don't bypass mandrel bending. This really adds to a free-flowing exhaust system.

One last point. Reconsider duals out the back. If you are hooking up a trailer, you have to turn the truck off or you will breathe in a lifetime supply of exhaust gasses. Your pipes will be completely submerged if you are launching a boat. Any trailer will be covered with exhaust stains. And, it is extremely easy to back your pipes into anything off-road. Due to these factors, I had to get a single side exit exhaust.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 01:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A Bad note on the Side Exhaust VS Out the back, It seems on all the rig's I see with out the back Exh. it's tucked nicely into the frame and body, where as my (stock) Setup has it out the side but the tail pipes come out about 6 inchs below the Body of the truck, thus on day while coming
Down a hill that's essentially 4x4 (located conviently next to the Local Wal-mart to) My Passenger side rear wheel fell into a hole and The Tail pipe some how got knocked out of the muffler...(to top thing's off when i got to the bottom i was out of gas....) I guess I could cut the tailpipe off while it's still under the bidy to avoid this though...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Flowmaster SSO exhausts tuck really niecly under the passanger side rear. It would be hard (not nearly impossible) to hang it up on something.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 06:13 PM
Veteran

One thing that I notice alot about side exit exaust and especially GMs and Chevys is that alot of trucks have rust right by the end of the tail pipes. Probably from the toxins and cemicals in the exaust. That was one reason I went with the duals out the back. And I don't have a problem putting my pipes under the water when I lauch the boat because of the 6" lift I have.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode