4" shackle flip - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4\" shackle flip

if i wanted to put that 4" shackle flip kit on my 1/2 ton but was putting 1 ton suspension in place of the 1/2 ton, would I still be able to use the shackle flip kit? I would THINK so, but thats why I'm here. (does any of that make any sence?)

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4\" shackle flip

True 1 ton springs are longer 56" compared to 52" the 1/2 tons usually have. If you get the right length springs-it's a go.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 11:10 PM
kona_joe

Why would you want to install 1 ton suspension on a 1/2 ton? If your carrying that much weight you should have a 1 ton truck to start with(stronger frame, brakes and drivetrain). The rear springs are longer(56")and will not bolt onto a 1/2 ton without modification to the front and rear spring hangers. If your reason is to lift the truck , then a quality suspension system will do the trick. You could use the Off-Road Design shackle flip with your stock rear springs(if they are in good shape)combined with new front springs.

Hope this helps
KJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 04:48 PM
FWP

14 FF instead of a 10 bolt- yeeehahh

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2000, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YUP, going to 14blt in rear and some fine day, the dana60 in front. But in the mean time I'm planning on a 4-6" lift to go with the 14blt. The plan is to PULL more than carry so upgrade is needed. So should I be able to put those 4" shackles in a different local than where the factor hangers are?

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 12:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I say it would work no matter what the spring length is. Why would that even make a difference? Its not like your making any adjustments to the springs. All the shackle flip does is reverse the current one to give it the 4" of lift.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, here's two quotes directly from ORD's page...

Load carrying ability is also a common question. Basically, if you keep the factory overloads, you won’t have any trouble.

56 inch rear springs are not a problem for the flip kit.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The flip will hold up fine to 1 ton. For springs, you could use 3/4 ton Suburban springs with a add-a-leaf or give Alcan a call and talk to them about some customs. Their prices aren't bad for custom springs.
http://www.alcanspring.com
Be sure to check out the flip article on off-road.com.

Shawn
87 K5
4" flip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode