Hydraulic Nightmare will be the death of me - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2000, 04:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hydraulic Nightmare will be the death of me

Replaced the clutch slave cylinder in the 86 GMC today. It all went smooth up until I tried to bleed the lines. I am using a MightyVac hand pump, and all I'm doing is pulling air. Does this mean I've got a leak somewhere else in the system? Where to look?

Please help so I can get back under there tomorrow and get it up and running.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2000, 06:40 PM
Addict

Re: Hydraulic Nightmare will be the death of me

I tried using the mighty vac on brake lines and ran into the same thing. I would suggest setting it up according to how they say to do brakes. Put the hose in the plastic container and adding some brake fluid to the container to cover the bottom of the line. Open the bleed screw and pump your clutch pedal a few times Make sure the master cylinder dosen't run out of fluid or you'll have to start over. That should do the trick.

Good luck..
Bill

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2000, 10:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hydraulic Nightmare will be the death of me

You might want to go ahead and replace the master cylinder too. the clutch in my 87 hit the floor this winter. I couldnt figure out which one busted so I tried the slave cylinder since the master cylinder would pump out some fluid from the line. I couldnt get it bled. I replaced the master cylinder too and had absolutely no problem getting it bled, less than 5 minuites with an assistant pumping the pedal. Was it the master cylinder all along? Maby, but the one that was still good probally wasnt all that good anyway. If you run into alot of difficulty you may want to consider getting a new master cylinder too. I think I replaced them both for $120 from the cheap autoparts store whose parts normally suck, but I have had good luck from their brake calipers and wheel cylinders so I figure the hydrolic clutch parts are perty much the same. Good luck.
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode