springs vs' blocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2000, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

springs vs\' blocks

Which is better for a 4"-6" lift, springs or blocks and why? Which is best for flex and which is best for general purpose?

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 12:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: springs vs\' blocks

Blocks are going to increase axle wrap up, but keep the ride the same as stock, new lifted springs will ride stiffer, but there will be no axlewrap. I see you have a 454, so you probably will want to avoid the blocks or you may have some major problems with axle wrap up. Another option is a shackle flip from http://www.offroaddesign.com

Brian
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 12:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to agree with Brian. Recently installed 4" with blocks and add-a-leaf. I now have a very stiff ride with axle wrap thrown in for good mesure.
D.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw those shackle flip brackets and threw those on my option list. One thing I can't figure out is how I'll get 1 ton suspension for the rear. Does anyone make a 1 ton leaf spring with a 4" lift built in it? If not, could'nt I do the shackle flip brac. and put stock 1 ton springs on? And, would this eliminate the need for traction bars?

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 11:32 AM
Mud in my Veins

Just curious as to why you want to use 1 ton springs. 1/2 ton springs would be easier (your truck is a 1/2 ton isn't it?), cheaper, and ride much better.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The plan for the 1 tons is to pull a camper. I cant hardly put a load of mulch in the back without draggin my a$$. Would add-a-leafs help? What options do I have? Of course I still want a smooth ride but need the load capability too. What to do? Yes, it is a 1/2ton

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 11:48 AM
Mud in my Veins

Well, with the 6" springs, or a 4" shackle flip with 2" springs, the rear won't sag as much. The 6" springs will sag, but not as much because there are now more leafs to make sag. With the shackle flip, you'd have 4" of lift back there that doesn't sag, so the only sag would be in the 2" springs. If you absolutely don't want sag, get one of those camper/towing systems that maintains the rear ride height. I know they are designed for stock trucks, but I've seen some that I think would work. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 01:16 PM
Veteran

I have 6" SkyJacker springs on my 92 and they are great. And talk about holding up to alot of weight. I and a friend delivered phone books in town this spring with my truck and lets just say they were piled up as high as we could go. There were a ton of weight there if not more and although the rear was saging there was no way I would have been able to at all drive with the old stock springs. The SkyJacker springs not only give you that lifting arch but they also have much thinker leaves but at the same time giving you the same ride quality because of the smallers thiner leaves in the pack.

Hope that helps you out a little....Ryan

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They do make 1-ton springs for lifting the truck. The problem I ran into is that 1-ton springs are longer than 1/2
and 3/4 ton. I would have had to cut my shackles and move them. It would be better to go with a load-leveler from Hellwig or some such. Give you the towing capacity with whatever springs you chose. D.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode