(HELP) rusted out floor board corners - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 11:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

(HELP) rusted out floor board corners

Need your opinion on replacing floor board corners that are rusted out on my 72 blazer. Rust on driver and passenger sides where floor and side come together. I have no body work experience but willing to learn. On a scale from one to ten what would you guys rate it on difficulty. Thanks [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: (HELP) rusted out floor board corners

Having just replaced my drivers side floor and cab support, I can tell you that it wasn't very hard, just time consuming. Not wanting to ruin my new panels I followed the old rule of "measure twice, and cut once". I started by pulling out the carpet and seat then laying the new panel in place and scribed it all along the edge so that I would have the outline of the new panel and could use it as a guide to cut the floor. Then I cut out all the rust which was more extensive than I thought. (It always is!) Then I removed the floor support and bolted the new one in place. Then I welded it. I had to make a few alterations to the floor pan, but after I was satisfied with the way it fit I welded it too. It took me about 12 hours mostly because I chose to exercise caution and I was low on beer.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

77 GMC Jimmy aka the Greyghost
UNLIMITED SLIPS in both ends
"Went through it's first three legs pretty quick. Thank God for the last one."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Having just replaced my drivers side floor and cab support, I can tell you that it wasn't very hard, just time consuming. Not wanting to ruin my new panels I followed the old rule of "measure twice, and cut once". I started by pulling out the carpet and seat then laying the new panel in place and scribed it all along the edge so that I would have the outline of the new panel and could use it as a guide to cut the floor. Then I cut out all the rust which was more extensive than I thought. (It always is!) Then I removed the floor support and bolted the new one in place. Then I welded it. I had to make a few alterations to the floor pan, but after I was satisfied with the way it fit I welded it too. It took me about 12 hours mostly because I chose to exercise caution and I was low on beer.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where did you get your replacement parts at. Can you buy after-market replacement parts or am I off to the wrecking yard. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought mine from a company called Straw pump Auto body panels in western Pa. There are many companies that sell aftermarket panels. I or someone else can get you the links to some of the sites. Straw pump does not have a web site and I don't have their # handy.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 08:28 PM
kona_joe

I ordered all of my sheetmetal parts from http://www.longmotor.com/chevycats.html
. They have good quality panels, that fit well and are made out of heavier gauge steel than others Iíve seen. I attached a pic from when i was working on the floor of my 68 K-20. We put on new rockers, floorpan and the inside kick panel piece. I think that is what youíre looking for?

Hope this helps
KJ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-178025-ldrvside.JPG (31.7 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2000, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Say it's about time to get started. NO GUTS-NO GLORY RIGHT. Just hope it comes out looking like your pic. Kona_joe. Thank's to both of ya for helping a beginner. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] USE YOUR RIGHTS OR LOSE YOUR RIGHTS... SUPPORT BLUERIBBON COALITION.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode