Symptoms of cracked frame at steering box? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Symptoms of cracked frame at steering box?

Can anyone ID the symptoms of a cracked steering box at the frame? My truck was pretty trashed when I got it, but I've fixed a ton of stuff. It would wander all over the road after I first bought it, so I replaced the wheel bearings, then the ball joints on the driver side. Then I added the lift and replaced the upper rear shackle bushings. Next came tie-rods, the drag link and a new steering stabilizer. Having replaced all of this stuff and adjusting the toe myself, I've come to conclude that I may have a cracked frame at the steering box. I suppose that I will have to pull it off and check for cracks. I have noticed alot of wear around the rivets in the front frame sections. In the event that the frame is cracked, other than a buying a kit, what options do I have for fixing it myself?

77 GMC Jimmy aka the Greyghost
UNLIMITED SLIPS in both ends
"Went through it's first three legs pretty quick. Thank God for the last one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 08:54 PM
FWP

Re: Symptoms of cracked frame at steering box?

Take it over to the alignment shop- they'll be to tell if the frame is bent. The crack, if there is one, will be pretty obvious, you should see cracks without having to pull the box. If you're lucky, it's not cracked. I put ORD steering frame brace on my SWB, and have tweeked the hell out out of it for a couple years now, with no frame problems. If the frame is cracked at the box, you can weld some supports in, but it aint never the same. Those plates you weld in aren't very expensive.... Good luck dude...

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode