6 lug 14 bolt FF or Dana 60 rear axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

6 lug 14 bolt FF or Dana 60 rear axle?

Hey guys. As some of you know, I am slowly planning out the conversion of my truck's IFS and 10 bolt suspension into a 1 ton solid axle suspension. Well, the front was easy, a Dana 60 of course. Now, on the rear I have a few questions. I want to put a Corporate 14 bolt FF there, because of the beef and cheapness of them. However, I would really, really like to stay with 6 lug axles. Now, I know they never made any FF with the 6 lug style, but I've often heard that someone saw it at a truck show, or has heard of it, etc. Okay, does anyone actually know how to do this? Or know where to look into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Next option if I can't find that is to just put a Dana 60 in the rear. I'd rather the Corporate for the reasons I said above, but if I have to, the Dana 60 should do. I am only planning on running 35x12.5's, maybe 36's or 35x15's. Would I have any problems with running a well built (Dynatrac or the equivilent) 60 in the rear? Above all, I want to know that unless I do something completely stupid and unsafe, the rear will never be a concern.
Any help is greatly appreciated guys.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 6 lug 14 bolt FF or Dana 60 rear axle?

You didn't say why you wanted to keep 6-lug wheels. Is it to keep existing rims? If not, I would say to go with 8-lug wheels. Hell, your making the drivetrain a 1-ton, why go to the weaker 6-lug wheels. You can get some good looking 8-lug rims (16" is the only possible downside).

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 05:35 PM

D60 front, 14FF rear, And 8 lugs all around [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. If your gonna do it, you should do it right![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Also 8 lug rims now come in practically every size and style!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>I agree, an 8 lug swap would be a better idea. Now 8 lug rims can be had in 15, 16 and 16.5" sizes. I got a set of 15x10 American Racing whitespokes from another CK5 member last month.

He said they fit over the stock 14 bolt ff rear drums. You will, however, need to do quite a bit of grinding on the front calipers, but its worth it. It would be a lot cheaper then the Dynatrac axles. They are a LOT of money!

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think they made a D60 6 lug front end, someone will correct me if I am wrong. Go with 8 lug 15 inch wheels. The only problem is that you have to grind your calipers, a lot. Full floater GM 14 bolt rear, or a D60, the D60 will give you about an inch more ground clearance.

Thanks, Ray

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The custom Dana 60 from Dynatrac for 6 lugs is a semi-floater. I've been facing the same dilemma. Fact is, if you're going to go with 1 ton gear you'll have to switch to 8 lug. I've looked high and low for a different answer and have not found one. Rim availability isn't as abundant either. But seek and you shall find something you like. Good luck.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Not necessarily guys. Guy on ColoradoK5 showed me this site. http://www.drivetrain.com/4x4.html They have a 6 lug 14 bolt 10.5". Looks like a FF, I've sent them an email to confirm it. Kinda pricey, but not to bad considering how much it offers, could be worth it. Thanks.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You did say you allready had a D60 front. I just want to know where you found a 6 lug D60 front? I am sure that a D60 front with 6 lugs would be custom, and that is big bucks, so I guess money is no object.

Thanks, Ray

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some guy in the Readers Rides section (pretty sure on this site) has a blazer, (good luck finding the right one!), on his list of mods it said 10-Bolt with Warn full-floater conversion kit. I went to Warns, website to check it out, they make them, but didnt have Chevy 10-Bolts listed or something, I forgot was a few weeks ago, kinda lost interest in that, as Im convinced that 8 lugs all around Dana 60 front and 14-Bolt rear, will be the way to go when I convert my 89 to a straight axle. Sorry for the life story[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img], just thought I might mention the 10-Bolt full floater!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Nope, no Dana 60 here. Yet. I'm either going to buy a Ford 60 and have it modified, or just buy one from Dynatrac or something. It's not that money isn't an option, but I want the best for my truck, and will just save until I can afford it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode