Best headers for 73-87? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Best headers for 73-87?

OK, I just sold some stuff and I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I am curious as to what headers you guys have had luck with. A friend of mine had Hookers that leaked (possibly his fault), and the Heddmans that I have right now don't fit well (the passenger side lower spring shackle rubs the right collector under heavy articulation). Anybody used the shorty style or block huggers? Any luck with Thorleys? The truck's a 78, manual tranny, 350. Heat soak isn't a concern, I've already installed a remote solenoid. By the way, I am concerned most with how well they fit, and they need to be 49 state smog legal too (I'm in CA, but the truck's originally from WA, so I only need to meet those standards). Thanks for any info.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 03:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Best headers for 73-87?

Try STANS Headers in WA. Phone number is 253-854-5310 or look at the web site. WWW.stans-headers.com P/N 173Y $325.00
OLY

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've used heddmans with no problems you just got to make sure the parts guy gives you the right ones because they think it;s a chevy small block it will work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I ordered my Hedmans through Jeg's. There's a complete listing in their catalog and I have the ones that are supposed to fit.

Here's a pic of the Thorleys that I'm looking at. Those of you that are familiar with the Hedmans will immediately notice that these look like a lot more thought has gone into making them fit well, especially on the passenger side.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 06:12 PM

I guess "Thorley" has heard of a little thing we like to call a starter[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
Where as "Hedman" says "uh"(LOL)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Actually, I have had good luck with several sets of Hooker Headers.
And have had bad luck with hedman headers, but they were REAL cheap (like $60, new) I think they were called "Black Jack" that's hedman isn't it? it was a long time ago!
As a pretty good rule, good headers will cost you from $250 on up, if they are less than that, your taking your chances.
Just make sure they know it is a 4X4 truck, when you order them!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I recently put the Flowtech's PN11500 on the Jimmy. Had a problem with leaking at first but discovered that it was the Softseal aluminum gaskets and not my fault. Since I already had dual exhaust I only had to get a piece of pipe bent for the passenger side so that it would clear the cross member. As far as that goes I just bent a coat hanger into the correct shape and took that to the exhaust shop $5.00 later I was in business. Supposedly Flowtech makes a 2.5" exhaust system that will bolt to their headers that is already bent in all the right places for clearance etc. that is not very expensive depending on the mufflers you pick. I've checked it out in a catalog but have not called them for exact pricing. I turned the bolt around on the passenger side shackle and dimpled the collector so that the bolt won't rub. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the Flowtechs.

77 GMC Jimmy aka the Greyghost
UNLIMITED SLIPS in both ends
"Went through it's first three legs pretty quick. Thank God for the last one."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put a set of DYNOMAX headers with the jet coating stuff on my B.B. They fit great. I would guess they (dynomax) have some to fit your needs. And, they offer a life time garantee on the jet coating. All this for the low, low price of $200.(give or take a few dimes)

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

After running 2 sets on my 87 and another on my old 79, my next set will be some shorty's. I currently have Dynomax ceramics which BTW I love the coating but they hit my front shaft and my left shackle. The shackle bolt has already made a good dent and eventually it will be a hole. This only happens when I take it off-road. The only problem is I can't find a set of shorty headers for a 73-87 big block truck/Blazer. Here's a pic of the left shackle and the header which you can see how close they are. My front drive shaft has some nice marks on it too.

Shawn
87 K5

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-176769-Mvc-862f.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Yeah Shawn, that's the same problem I have, only on the passenger side. For some reason Hedman put the collector right between the the front driveshaft and the spring shackle. They both hit the headers, and the zirc fitting got torn out of the slip yoke on the shaft a while back. I dimpled the collector and turned the bolt around in the shackle to help on that side, but I want to put the ORD greasable shackles on, and since they're even wider than stock they'll really nail the collector.

By the way, does anybody know how much it costs to have Jet-Hot coat a set of headers that weren't originally coated? Thorley doesn't offer it as an option, but I want my next set to last a real long time, so I think it's worth it, so long as it doesn't cost a fortune.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 07:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dont have any advice but im looking for some. has anybody used flowtech afterburner headers?? they are supposed to give you high tork at low rpm and high horse at high rpm and they are only $140-$160?

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode