Shakers for trucks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shakers for trucks?

I remember a while back i was watching Trucks on TNN, the guys put a "shaker" hood and induction set up on a D***e D*rango. Has anyone ever seen one of these on a truck? Im guessing it would be a good way to force feed air into your engine, but is it sound for truck applications?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 03:46 AM

Re: Shakers for trucks?

If it fits a Durango it'll fit a Dakota, they have the same sheetmetal - er, plastic - in the front. If your asking if they make one for a Chevy, then SHAME ON YOU![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'm a firm believer in NOT mixing and matching design cues from one manufacturer with vehicles from another. The shaker hood is a Mopar design, just like cowl induction is GM. There's a '67 Mustang around here that has one of those Calvin pissing on a bowtie stickers in the back window and a cowl induction hood on it; it's such an oxymoron, I chuckle to myself everytime I see it. I'm sure the Shaker for the Durango/Dakota is good for force feeding air to the engine if it's functional and not just for looks, but it'd probably force feed water pretty well too if you got in deep enough or it was raining very hard[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 05:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

uh oh.. no mixing parts? what about the 9" ford axle? or ford starter selinoids to fix hot start problems etc? or dodge divorced 205's? lol.. where would we be if we didnt do creative swaping.. lol..

looking for a new diesel powered blazer
(R.I.P.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 05:49 PM

Shakers are Mopar only??? What about Pontiac Trans Am's? and I'm fairly sure mustang's had a shaker too[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
But, I agree the cowl hood looks best on Chevys

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 09:20 PM

Uh oh, looks like I started something here... Tough Trucks, I said nothing about swapping PARTS. I have a ferd type remote solenoid on my truck, it fixes a problem with it, it doesn't add "style". I said I don't agree with mixing and matching DESIGN CUES. As far as I remember, the Shaker hood is distinctly Mopar. It has two forward facing openings that look like nostrils[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Now that I think about it, the WS6 firebird DOES have a similar hood, as do old Ram Air GTOs and stuff, but I think they had a different shape to them than the Shakers. I don't think I've ever seen a Shaker on a Mustang, I think it only had one opening, on the Mach I or II or something. If there was that style hood on one, I'll bet that it wasn't called a Shaker. If my Mopar knowledge is correct (which it probably isn't) the intake "nostrils" on the Shaker hoods always had the same lines, regardless of the vehicle it was on. My main point was that I think it's silly to install a style of hood on a vehicle that's an entirely different make than the one that originally had that particular styling. Like a "Cowl Induction" for a Ford or Dodge, or a "Shaker" for a Chevy or Ford. Personally I don't like adding lots of crap to vehicles (like those trucks you see with every single Lund accessory on them - bug deflectors, windshield visors, fairing thingys behind the cab, wind deflectors on the side windows, running boards, taillight covers with cutouts in them, and worst of all, spoilers), I like to clean up the lines that are already there. But hey, that's my opinion. Anyways, that's enough about that for now!

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The "Shaker" hood style was where the filter/housing attached to the carb and stuck up thru a hole in the hood...the filter housing shook when the engine was at idle or revved...came on some Backaruda's and Mush One's (Boss 302,351,and 429) from like around '69 to maybe '72...I think they are appropriate for those cars, and helped define the era...I think the cowl scoop on most any Chevy truck can be made to look good...I like clean lines myself on daily drivers...tryin' to think what someone could do to really make a Chevy look bad...K5

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i know exactly what your talking about.. i just like to get the troops riled up a bit every once and a while.......

oh.. and " shaker" was actualy a pontiac trademark...

looking for a new diesel powered blazer
(R.I.P.)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 05:23 PM

Yeah, well, shows ya what I know about non-Chevy stuff... I really ought to learn to keep my mouth shut. Just felt a bit punchy last week I suppose...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 06:21 PM

Don't worry about it, we ALL stick our foot in our mouth once in a while[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Me included[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I think you were talking about Ram Air
"Ram Air" Mopar and Pontiac were both pretty big on these, a couple snorkel scoops that ran air into the aircleaner.(GTX, road runner, GTO, Formula)
"Shaker" Like some one else said, hooked directly to the aircleaner and stuck out the hood, causing it to shake when the engine was running.(Trans am, mach one)
"Cowl induction" scoop with the opening in the rear with a flap controlled by vacuum from carb, more gas, the more the flap would open. This little invention probably cost me more money in gas[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]on a 70 Chevelle SS I had, just to watch that flap open [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] damn that was cooool![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Definitely a Chevrolet invention also there is the regular cowl with out the flap.(Chevelle, Camaro)
"Grabber" was also a vacuum controlled scoop, open in the front, and would raise up out of the hood (Very Cool) (Mopar superbee/superbird and ford maverick & vomit opps[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I mean comet), I think they may have put one of these on the AMC gremlin once too. But then again AMC always did weird $#@! and stole / borrowed everyone's idea's

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Evan, Jenn's dad's 71 T/A has a shaker scoop on it. Formula 400... Although, you've probably never seen that car since it's been used as a table for the last 5 years. Can't wait till he starts restoring that thing!

there is a company out there that makes the shaker hood for Durangos and Dakotas. They're pretty hot with the 2WD in-the-weeds crowd, but It seems kinda hokey to put on a 4x4. Not nearly as hokey as any non-functional hood scoop on ANYTHING, mind you, but hokey nonetheless. the worst offender in my opinion is the late model 4Runners with the little non-functional scoop on the hood. That's ri-goshdarn-diculous.

Marc
Webmaster, Contagious Off-road
http://contagious-racing.8m.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode