Glass Pack Mufflers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glass Pack Mufflers

I have been wanting to put a loud exhaust on my truck, but still want to pass emissions obviously, I have heard alot of good things about Glass Packs, whats the deal? Are they loud, will they help my truck perform better, and are they street legal? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 08:27 PM

Re: Glass Pack Mufflers

Glasspacks give a rappy sound, I personally don't like them. They also hinder flow more than even a stock muffler. If you want a muffler that gives good performance and a nice low rumble, I'd recommend the Flowmasters. Get a 2 chamber with big exaust tips if you want people to hear you coming from a block away, or a 3 chamber if you want it a bit more mellow (it'll still be louder than stock). Also, IN GENERAL, anything downstream from the catalytic converter is not restricted by emissions laws, only by noise laws if it's too loud. Edelbrock, Gibson, Borla, and Flowtech also are nice mufflers, all with slighty different sounds. I personally prefer the Edelbrock between all of these; it has a nice resonating burbly sound (nice description, eh?) Somebody really needs to install each one of these mufflers on the same vehicle, record the exhaust tones and uplaod them to a webpage. Now that would be cool! Somebody did post a link here recently with a bunch of wav files of Flowmasters on different vehicles, so you might look into that.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 08:45 PM
Veteran

I have a Flowtech Termination on my truck and I really like it. I have had it on for almost 2 years now. It gives a great tone with out the renisance in the cab or how ever you spell it. It rumbles like crazy and it loud enough to set off any car alarm at the parking lot at school. 2 of my buddies have Flowmasters and one has a Rino which is a wanabe Flowmaster. They all creat a great tone but is extreamly anoying in the cab of the truck. All 3 trucks are Chevys.

One thing I like about the Flowtech is that it is a totaly open chamber, I could stick a 2x2 right though the thing. Thats why it creates the rumble like it does and sounds good. Check it out, they are also built to last. At over 18 pounds they weigh alot more than all other mufflers. They are also a little cheaper than Flowmasters. personally I think the Flowmasters are over rated.

Good luck with what ever you go with.....Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 08:59 PM

The new Delta Flows from flowmaster got rid of that resonance problem.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm, well thanks for the input, Shaggy, I went to the Edelbrock site and they have a section for exhaust sounds, and am pretty pleased, Ryan, couldnt find any recordings of Flowtech mufflers, Shaggy, if you remember who posted the exhaust sounds, could you please give me their name, or a link to the post? Im not looking for mellow sounds, I want this to be one loud exhaust, I do want people to here me coming from a few blocks away. Thanks again guys!

Screw the sound Police!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 10:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if u want realllllly loud just forget the muffler, cat, etc and just go open headers?? hows that for a thought? j/k anyway if u want loud i would recommend a 1 chamber muffler from flowmaster. they are louder than most other mufflers and sound good. good luck with whatever u choose

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey 89 silverado i think it was andreas who posted the exhaust sounds the name off the post was something like: sounds for sore ears speliing and graamar what be that??

CaLeB[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
RiVeR CiTy OfFrOaD
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2000, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A couple years ago, when the stock muffler finally gave out on my 92, I went to the muffler shop to get it fixed. The guy's said they were putting 3" duals on, and sounded pretty good. I went for it, and even added the 4" chrome tips! They cut the pipe just behind the Cat and put in a splitter, then duals out the back, "Texas style". Darn thing sounds monsterous! A real deep rumble (almost like my HD, but thats another story). I guess they were so excited about bending pipe, and smelling the torch fumes they completely forgot the mufflers! Now, no cops have even said BOO about it, and everyone can't believe it sounds so good! They just stare in amazement about the mufflers, or lack there of. Of course the cammed 408 doesen't hurt the sound any either! ( OK, got it out of my system now. I'll stop rambling! Sorry I can't upload a sound bite, 'cause it does sound good.)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2000, 05:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Flowmaster on my '99 Tahoe. Everyone has their own view of what sound right, but I like the way this company's product line works. I originally bought a 70 series 3-chamber muffler, but it wasn't loud enough. So I bought the 50 series 3-chamber and that was perfect. If it wasn't, they also have the 30 series, 2-chamber ones.

Carl
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2000, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't like flowmasters personally, if you listen close, they kinda have a high pich whine. If I were doing it, I would put in the cheaper flowtech muffler (and then find a flowmaster sticker for my back window )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode