Lifting Alternatives? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Lifting Alternatives?

Hello, Im a brand new member to Off-road Forums.
First off My names Christian, I'm 16 yrs old. and I live in Oregon.
I currently have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 EXT cab.
I already have good tires, And I don't want to go up any sizes. I have Hankook Mud Terrain 33's.
But I was curious as to see what alternative things i could do to lift my truck 3-6 Inches, WITHOUT spending over $750. Any straight kits, or combination of spacers, etc.
If you need any information and or pics of the rig just let me know.

Also, I have body lifts UNLESS they're combined with a 4 inch suspension lift. So any straight 3" body lifts I DO NOT want. Thanks for any help in advance

'Big Black'
2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended cab.
Airaid Cold Intake System
Kenwood Headunit
Blaupunkt Speakers
Pioneer Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Journeyman

Hey bud, first off let me start by saying this : welcome!!!

Secondly, sh*t man only 16 and you're rolling in a sweet a$$ looking truck, hell I don't even have one that new (I've got a 86 T10 Blazer 2.8 V6 TBI), and to top it off it's a lil' bit modded!! Congrats to ya!!.

Check out rough country lift kits, they have kits which are decently priced, I haven't used them, but I believe they are in your price range. Their website is Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck take a look, I just saw and they have a couple of options, starting from $99.99 for 2" t-bar lift to 4" or 6" lifts that are advertised for $999.99.

Oh another important thing you didn't mention, is it a 4x4 or a 2WD? Late.

I need a bigger engine!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

It's Z71 4x4. And thanks it really is a great truck, I worked every summer from the age of 12 to save up for it.

'Big Black'
2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended cab.
Airaid Cold Intake System
Kenwood Headunit
Blaupunkt Speakers
Pioneer Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Journeyman

Yup, I thought you were talking about the Z71 4x4, yep mine's a Z71 T10 blazer also. Kudos to you, you knew what you wanted at an early age and went for it!!!....that's great, you've got determination which is good!!. But, yeah, check on that lift kit I mentioned and see if that's one you might want to purchase, call the company and ask to speak to a representative on their tech line, they can walk you through the whole process on what is included in the kit, and can let you know how much it would be in total. But hey man, for a stock rig rolling on 33s that's not bad....you can do a lot with a stock rig, I do in my blazer; my only mod is 30" BFG AT tires!. Late.

I need a bigger engine!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Welcome Christian. And nice job working your butt off to get something you wanted. Many folks these days don't get that concept but looks like you do.

As for a 3-6" lift without spending over $750, you might be able to get that done if you find a used suspension lift. Might sound a bit scary and it is, but it can be done safely and economically. I bought my 6" lift for $400, bought all new hardware, and installed it with the help of my dad and uncle over a weekend. That leaves a little $ for incidentals and shocks too.

In the last 10 years IFS lifts have changed a little bit so I'm not up on the latest goings on. But general consensus was stay away from Tbar lifts as they stress out front end parts. If you want to go 3", jump in whole hog and get a 4" kit that will drop everything and keep better geometry.

Shorts
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with shorts. get fullsize 4 or 6" lift. youl end up saveing time and money in the long run, compared to 2-3 t-bar lifts along with body lifts. the truck will just be more mechanicly sound with flatter cv angles

your not going to get a sfa in there for anywhere close to 750. your lookin at a minumum of 2-3 grand if you do all the work

89 ifs-sfa truck tranplanted in a 83 K-5 blazer offroad only rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1500, awesome, gmc, lift kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode