Off Roading Forums banner

454 starving

2K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  dave 
G
#1 ·
Hey I am new here and couldn't find what i was looking for. Anyways here is my question. I have a 91 burbin with a 454 and had it bored out to a 496 and made it a stroker as I was intending on boosting it. Anyways it has that tpi and I am not getting enough fuel in the motor even when I piggybacked the fuel. I wonder if I need to add an in line fuel pump and if so how do i adjust the fuel pressure to the injectors. Should I be purchasing some new injectors? I thought about adding an in line fuel pump and then testing it with 2-3 20 pound injectors just to test or see if i can force some extra gas through the injectors by bumping pressure in. Is it true that there is a fuel regulator spring and if so anyone know where it is?
Thanks a ton for the help!
-Kunte

#2 ·
I usually don't get involved with BBC engines, I have lots of experience with SBC engines. To the best of my knowledge, a factory 91 Suburban 454 was TBI. Is your TPI system a GM system? I am curious what diagnostic tools your using? I have a laptop using either WINALDL or DataMater to help me with EFI diagnostics. I think I would need to know more about your engine, (which ECM your using for TPI, and any data files your willing to post).
dave

G
#3 ·
I meant tbi. It is a stock tbi on a stock ecu. everything is stock but the engine that is bored stroked with gear drive and a mild cam. I figured blowing through with extra gas pressure using an in line pump might help?

#4 · (Edited)
Ok, TBI:) Changing the fuel pump will not change the fuel pressure.:( The fuel pressure regulator inside the TBI is adusting the fuel pressure. There are adjustable fuel pressure regulators for a TBI.

I think you will need a custom PROM chip. Being able to collect data from the ECM will help with programming a custom PROM chip. It costs about $50 for an ALDL cable to connect to a Laptop computer. WINALDL software is free!:eek:oo: Custom TBI chips can figure out a custom PROM chip, but he needs the data from WINALDL.
dave

#5 · (Edited)
A link to ALDL Cable OBD Diagnostics, Inc. - ALDL (GM OBD1) Cable with 12 pin Connector

A link to TBI Chips TBI CHIPS

A link to WINALDL WinALDL - 160 baud ALDL reader

A link to Summit Racing for an Adjustable fuel pressure regulator 10 - 20 PSI JET Performance 61500 - JET Adjustable TBI Billet Fuel Pressure Regulators - summitracing.com

A link to Moates to get the stuff needed to program your own PROM Chip Programmers : Moates.Net

A link to Tuner C.A.T.S for software / hardware to program a PROM while you driving a vehicle (Real Time) very cool stuff. Tuner Description PROM emulator needed for Tuner C.A.T.S Pocket ROMulator 2716 -27512 EPROM EmulationTranstronics, Inc.

dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.