Off Roading Forums banner

transfercase

819 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MouseMotor 
G
#1 ·
hello friends,
the autotrac transfercase nv246 in my 1998 suburban is destroyed. i am thinking of replacing it with a nv243 transfercase. the biggest advantage of this swap is the front drive shaft will stop turning at all the times. the front drive line will be engaged on when shifted to 4hi or4 lo.as i am putting on 6inch lift i am worried about front drive shaft vibrations. has any one done this swap before. i think it should bolt right up execept for the wiring part as this is shifted electonically. any help wouldbe greatly appriciated.thanks

#2 ·
if it comes stock in a GM vehicle 88-present, then it will bolt right in. as for the vibration, some folks find that with a 6" it does vibrate due to extreme angles. jesse at highangle driveline canmake stuff for you, or you canclock the front "axle" to make it work. most people have no trouble with a 6" though. good luck

#3 ·
just a thought to ponder - I've been shopping for a 95+ suburban, and happened to notice that the lift kits over 2" specify that they DONT work with the full time system....at a guess, I'd suspect that the shafts are CV's, or something, to prevent vibration from the full-time 4x4, and have shorter slip yokes. Shouldnt be an issue to swap in regular shafts, but if $$$ is tight, definitely something to look at before you start parts swapping.

(*** also might be worth looking to see if the full time case uses U-joint collars, or flanges to connect the shafts to the case))

chris.

#4 ·
the swap can be done. i've never done it because my truck has the part time case stock.

you are going to need to cut a hole in the floor for your lever. from what i have read about the auto track case it is junk. and most lifts require a new drive shaft with the auto track case. i would try and get the driveshaft, linkage, lever, thing that the lever goes into, and case all from the same truck. that way you have all the pieces you need.

good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.