Tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 01:57 PM
prixor

Tires

I have thornbird 38's on my silverado, but I was wondering what other tires you all have used. I havent heard a lot of good about these tires and I'm definitely not getting very good wear on them. Just some suggestions on a nice set of radials or something that wont have me buying new tires everytime I turn around?
Thanks
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 02:19 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Re: Tires

Cooper makes a good tire called the STT. It's a mud tire & they last pretty long, but I don't think they make them any bigger than 35" last I checked. If you're not concerned about how aggressive they are, get some BFG ATs, they last a real long time, and ride well, but they're not aggressive, and they're quite expensive.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 03:23 PM

I second the BFG's.....great tires if you aren't concerned about mudding.

I will be putting some on my truck before too long.....maybe we could hit up a local tire place to give us a discount if we bought two sets at once [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Yea like that'll happen [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 03:13 AM

if your thinking of staying with something with an extreme tread pattern but want better wear then i would recommend the baja claw radial by mickey thompson. its a outstanding offroad tire just tammed a little bit more. they run about mid 300's for 38's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Apprentice

Ive heard the ground hawgs wear pretty good,, never had em myself but i might look at them next time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:24 AM

I can say this you will not find me dead with a set of baja claws on my pickup. What we run around here are 38x15.5x15
gumbo mudders they are made by gateway you can find them in the 4x4 mags if no where else. They are expensive. And it really depends on the stuff you are into the are great in the mud snow and sand but they do have a little thinner side wall and that comes in handy for me because I air down to 2-5 psi. There is also the wild country TXR's great about $800 for a set of 35's but DO NOT have them siped you will hate your self(personal experence)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 01:34 PM
prixor

What do you have against baja claws? I just did some looking and found some SuperSwamper IROK Radials in a 39.5x13.5x16. I know that you all cant see my clearances and all, but do you think I'd have any problem fitting 39.5's? and any disappointing stories about those tires?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 09:54 PM

im not sure what that guy has against the baja claws but they have worked great for me. i run the non-radial version so they wear faster and make more noise. i have a friend who has the radials and they work great for him. they perform almost just as good as mine. the IROK'S are also a great choice. im not sure if the 39's will fit because i dont know your lift size but if u can fit 38's without any problems then im sure the 39's will fit fine.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:45 AM

i dont know for sure, but i believe snow's arguement has to dowith the less that desireable tread life of the baja claws. if youre going to spend the money most epople want them to last more than one season of wheeling, but thats just a ghuess. I"m sure he'll post back and make it quite clear
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 AM

sorry I have not answered back race cars got me tied up anyway. To finish my argument the reason I don't like baja claws is because they wear like $h!t aand I don't know what kind of mud you have where you guys are at but around here the mud is clay and those tires don't do as well as some of the others I have seen. The IROK's from what i have herd are a good tire and I am going to run them on my long box project. It will have 17" spring lift a 49x21 IROK's. I also like the supper swamper TSL's they are a great tire wear a little faster but you still get some milage. What keeps your tires the best is don't smoke them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode