Cheap TLC - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Cheap TLC

Long time since I've been here but good to be back. I got a 99 silverado which needs some help for the summer. I have a distinct clunk when driving off from a complete stop. I'm thinking universals but I'm not sure. Any tips on checking for this? All the work will be done myself since lack of college funding lately so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Cheap TLC

How many miles on it? Might be ujoints, play between ring & pinion, wear on the transfer case output shaft; and the list probably goes on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:58 PM

My vote goes for play at the pinion and tcase. To test it, just get under the truck and grab on to the dshaft and twist it both ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 02:40 PM
jca1

my dad has had the same problem in his 99 silverado since he bought it new in late 98. when it was new he took it back to the dealer and they didn't find anything wrong with it and called it normal. since then the sound has quit occuring as often but nothing has been done to fix it. his truck now has over 85k and drives great other than the occational clunk on take off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I just rolled over 106k, driveshaft doesn't budge and inch as it sits now, I'll have more time to look at it later tonight. I'm going to change the t case and rear diff fluids, anything specific to look for in these areas while I'm there?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 09:38 AM

It is a problem with early to late 90's Chevy trucks.....something to do with the slip joint in the transfer case and the driveshaft. There are some published so called "fixes" out there for it involving changing to different transfer case fluid, etc....

Chevy does thier best not to acknowledge the issue but will if pushed. They ended up solving it by changing to a different metal on the slip joint or something like that....

Been a few years since I looked into it much so my details may not be perfect but that is your issue....guarantee it.

My SUB does it although it does it less as I rack up the miles....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode