Fluid Change - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Fluid Change

I changed the rear diff fluid last week. This stuff was completely black. I am going to get the front done this week as well. My question is, should I also get the transfer case done and should I also get the transmission done as well. i hear getting the transmission done at this point is worthless especially since I have 73,xxx miles on the tahoe. What are your opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fluid Change

yes, if the trans has no shifting problems than it better to do it now than waiting till its to late. I always tell people to change trans fluid every 30,000 miles.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

id definatly change the trans, and get it flushed if you have axcess to the stuff to do it. with an auto tranny i wouldnt think it would be worthless to change the oil twice a year. regardless of miles put on it. the oil is subject to such high heat at exstended periods that youd only be doing yourself a favour by changeing it.

id also consider a ribbed tranny pan that adds 2-4 quarts of oil to the system, then be running between 7-9 quarts of oil through the tranny instead of 5 or so.

changeing everything liquid every so often is always a good think. do it all now. not when something goes wrong.

alittle preventive maintence goes along ways

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:38 AM

Last summer I had to replace my transmission. Now I have decided to change the fluid every year. Last week I changed to fluid in both diffs, tranny, and engine oil. The front diff is easier than the rear. I wouldn't take it to get done. There is a fill and drain plug. Get a nozzle pump thing from the autoparts store and pump in a few quarts. I bought a gallon of the Lucas Oil stuff. I put a quart in the engine, diffs, and tranny. I can totally tell the difference in the shifting. I used B&M ATF and it made the shifting feel crisper. The only bummer is that the fluid is blue and hard to see on the dip stick.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:43 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Whoever told you its worthless to do is a freaking idiot.
I did mine awhile back, pretty dirty it had 30,000 on it.
But I noticed it shifted better afterwards.
Maybe put some seafoam tranny cleaner in there before?
And ya do it yourself unless ya like wasting money.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Reason being is that some transmissions adapt to the metal fixings in the casing. I have changed both the front and rear diff along with the transfer case. The transmission is the only thing left. I won't do that in my driveway. I will be paying someone to do that. Should i get the flush or the whole maintenance done to it?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:43 PM

I would have the flush done. Last year I did a filter and fluid change. 2 months later the tranny blew up, driving in a matter that I had been doing for 60K miles. Now with the new transmission I will change it once a year.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Addict

That rear fluid being black might be because of the clutches being worn....check them if you have a posi. or locking type differential.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Journeyman

Your tranny should hold more fluid than just 4-5 quarts. When i replaced mine, it took, about 12 quarts to fill tranny and torque converter. They do hold a fair amount of fluid in them. Also i would suggest putting a tranny cooler on it and ditch the factory radiator cooler. Even if you don't tow, or wheel alot, it will keep it cooler, and make it last longer.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

to make the fluid change easier. buy a drain plug for the trans pan. with the pan on the tranny get drill and the an apropriat size drill bit for the pan.

then just drill a hole in umm id go the back section and let it drain. then unbolt the pan bolt the drain plug in change the filter and fill it full of fluid. this will make every fluid and filter change from now on alot less messy and save you time under the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode