auto tranny questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

auto tranny questions

need to know what range converters are in this tranny in truck applications,

after such a short time the trans is decideing its not going to last me long, ive looked into rebuilding it and relized its not something i want to do.

not when i can get one for 1000-1400. also found out the tranny in the truck is a 700r4 not the 4l6e. im not real positive if the 700r4 is the tranny to have. looking over the net i have seen that theres a ton of after market companies pumpin out the 700r4 designed to go behind radical motors..

heres what im looking at right now, im just lookin. its the stage 2 trans. yeaH I LIKE THE BLUE.

heres the link.
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...SUBCAT&CATID=B

if i was to get this tranny acording to the company it would work behind big block and about any kind of small block i might ever build.

but i dont have any clue as to what tourque converter id stick in it.

thats were you all come in.

thanks
Evan

also thought about doing a revers manul valve body that would make the shift pattern, prn1234, instead of prn4321. this also makes it so i have to shift between each gear. then id also want a taller floor shifter to do this. the column shifters are so cheezy feeling to me. real loose and sloppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: auto tranny questions

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...bcat=1&pid=304

shifter i think im going to run, its so simple and straight forward i just have to do it. its tranny mounted to and is built in way i can bend or make taller and shooter to sute me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thaaaat must be what I saw at the car show this year. I saw a lot of cars with floor shift automatics, the knob said:

P
R
N
(D)

Some with the (D), and some without. I didn't get out a tape measure, but some were freakin' long, I'd guess longer than the 15" one that's advertised.

About the torque convertor, I barely understand how one works let alone know what the rpm differences have to do with. That bowtie overdrive site has 1,600rpm, 1,800rpm, and 2,200rpm in the heavy duty versions; were those the ones you were considering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

i dont have any clue what rpm range to go with. i do know that whatever is in it now is working good,
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 04:13 PM

Seen alot of bad stuff about bowtie overdrives on ck5 with there 700r4's. I'd either get yours rebuilt by a quality local shop or buy a new one from B&M or Jet.

Personally, I would get a 4l80e off ebay or someplace else, and swap that in with a Jet computer to run it. A used 4l80e and the computer will be less than the $1400 your looking to spend and will be a much better transmission.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

hmmmmmmm

thanks for the heads up.

was considering 4l80e but dont have the computer to run it. didnt know jet puter would work. ill look into it.

thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:21 PM

It was my understanding that Jet no longer makes trannys. I have been looking at a TCI tranny from Summit. Orginally i was going to get a Jet, but they said they no longer carried them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode