Locker for IFS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Locker for IFS

I have heard that there is a locker that'll fit in the front diff. It's not listed as available for the GM IFS but will fit with a bit of grinding inside the housing. Anybody know who makes it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Locker for IFS

You've got a 2500 right? If it has the 9.25" differential, then Tractech has the Detroit Electic Locker which is made for the AAM 925 front axle.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Right on, thanks 83. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I spoke to tractech but they don't offer any locker to fit. I did hear that there was a small locker that would work but the housing required some grinding to make it fit. I'm not sure who make's it.
I have the 2500 but it's got 6 bolt wheels, not the heavy duty version, maybe that's why the Tractech won't fit mine.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Found it. If anybody's interested it's a Power Trax, part #pt92-0782-2802. Fits a GMC IFS with 6 hole wheels.

A couple of dealers say they don't carry it since it's been know to cause the vehicle to dart from side to side on the highway. That's not a problem for me since there are not many roads here.

I'm also looking for a spool for the back but I've been told that there is none available for a 14 bolt C clip rear axle.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:42 PM

Do a search on this topic, IFS LOCKER.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Do a search on this topic, IFS LOCKER.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a search. I looked through 90 posts and didn't find any lockers for 8.2 front end. I see that you don't like the idea of a locker for the front because stuff'll break. I break stuff regularly anyway, most of the time it's cv joints. My sway bar is removed so I can change an axle in 20 minutes - 6 bolts at one end and the axle nut at the other and it slips right out.
I ran for a while with a welded front diff, didn't break stuff any more than usual and there was a big increase in traction. The disadvantage of the welded diff is you can only run 2WD or full lock 4WD, and it's nearly impossible to steer with the front end locked unless you're on slippery ground.
I'd rather have the traction when I need it. Most of my driving is off road and I don't mind breaking parts once in awhile if it gets me where I wanna go. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode