How many miles is too many on 14 bolt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

How many miles is too many on 14 bolt

How many miles would you consider to many on a 14-bolt sf axle. I have found some 14-bolt SF axles but they are from 88 work trucks with some up to 200,000 miles. I found one our of a 88 C2500 it says 4x4 with 194,000 for $600. This is with 4.10 gears. If i find one with 4.10 gears would i be ok with them instead of 4.56. Then i would only have to swap the front gears out and save some cash...

I haven't had a chance to run over and take a look at it yet. been to busy here at the shop to get away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 04:03 PM

Re: How many miles is too many on 14 bolt

200,000 on a gear set is a lot. I would think that as long as the housing is straight and that the axles have good bearing surfaces it should be good. I have no idea how many miles is on mine. I replaced all the bearings, threw out the differential, and replaced all the brake components (quite cheap for all brake stuff). Take a look at where the axle tube goes ito the center section and at the flange at the brakes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 8 lug 14-sf has about 450,000 on it now. I don't recall the bearings ever being done, but they might've. My pinion bearings are loosening up some now, I need to have them done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

lol i was gona thro 400 out there. the 14sf in my blue and silver 89 had ticked over 200k 4 years ago. in all reality is got mayube 350 on it.

factory original ring and pinion and all bearings. pinion bearins are sloppy as all get out, ring teeth are pitted, and chipped. she howls alittle.

its seen alot of miles off road. and man it just wont puke. ive got bearings and seals, now i need to round up a detriot, and possibly discs.
even as we speak the axles under the truck and has been the truck im useing as my daily driver. if the ring and pinion teeth looked better id toss new bearings in it and roll. but i need gears anyways and they realy are lookin fairly sad.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 12:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mmmm detroit and disks for a 14sf :drool: don't tease me Evan... I thought I had a detroit for a 14-ff last year in the paper for like $50, but it was for an old Eaton axle as it had 1.5" axles but like only 29 splines.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

thats the plan. cant find the dang sf disc conversion stuff though. it was pretty much the same setup as the ff. alittle more spendy but a good kit. still had to come up with rotors and cals. but thats easy.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.tsmmfg.com/2631.htm

http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.co...x7.html#3fbolt

That's the two I've found. I've heard SSBC might have a kit, but I can't find it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

both 8 lug kits. wonder if front 6 lug rotors will work.

i always thought the first kit was a 6 lug kit, this is the first time i noticed that it comes with 16 wheel studs.

dont know how much it matters either way around, dont know how if any difrent the 8 lug semi axle is compared to the 8 lug version.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 AM

I have checked into it before and they will do 6 lug for you. I decided against discs because of the price.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

its less than 400. isnt bad anyway you cut it, unles you mill all your own brackets and what not. pretty sure you can find some calibers for free or very cheap.

i remember way back when you couldnt touch disc conversion for less than 800. kinda crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode