winches and bumpers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

winches and bumpers

truck is sitn tall on 35s. has low center of gravity. tires have plenty of room. well they will ounce i knock the rear inner fender lip in on the bed.

the rear tires stuff along ways into the fender wells. i remeber stufn 285s with no lift and they went in aways. but man these things look like theyre gona dissapear in there. yeah i know wheres the pics.??? dont have a scanner or anything

heres what im thinkn. why should i waste my money on 6" inch lift that ill run closer to 4". when ive already made plenty off room to clear 35s with a 1" crank. that money will also be wasted if my ORU brackets end up under this truck. wich is highly likley at this point.

ive decided on not getting the ifs lift. made the same decision again that i did about a year ago with my silver truck. putn money into the ifs front just isnt the way to go for me.

so im thinking the warn 12k winch would fit the bill and be far more usefull offroad than the lift will be. it cost about the same. and i think is just plain the way to go.

decided againsdt the 9.5 because its alittle light for a fullsize rig. and do to the desing cant be tucked between the frame rails quite as much. Jasons got his as far in there as itl go without out loweing it. and it hangs way the heck out there. killing some approach.

ive decided to build a tube bumper also. iver got the tube rounded up. enough to build this a few times so i can get it right. its 1.5" tube. 1/8" plate is going inbetween the tubes.

also been thinking about dropn a 1" bodylift on it to give the winch alittle more room between the radiator support and all that other junk in there.

ohhhhhhh and wheres the conglomeration of lines in the frame horns. my silver trucks got steel brake line looking things go over over hell in the frame horn ends. this 89 doesnt have a single.

anywho its almost 6am here im workn on almost 2 hours olf sleep. grapped some coffee and redbull so id wake up. both are now ab out gone. and im feeling like my heads gona hit the keys at any second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: winches and bumpers

bumpers off and ive been measureing and scribleing out my ideas. lost autocad a few years ago, grrrrrrr that was a good program to get my ideas all straight.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:08 PM

I had some one make me a winch plate that bolted up between my frame rails. The actual winch is behind the license plae and all you can see is the fairlead and the hook that I have hooked on to the factory tow hook. It is easily accessible. Maybe you are looking for something stronger and something with better approach angles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

im not sure what im looking for but i do know its going to be all my own. the winch bumper will roll into a full skid plate under the truck like what jason is runnin. should work out pretty good.

do you have any pics of your set up

should make snow running better. might almost turn the truck into a sled going down hill. but i cant fit tire chains the way shes sitn

ended up not working today so ive been out bending tubes. got one tube that matches the countour of the frill. and a lower tube that drops down to just below the frame rails and angles back up to the corner where the upper tube that is bent around to the grill and fender.

theyre spoted together but im not sure i like it. the cab body mounts are good 3"s below the uper tube and the lower tube is tied in just before the corner.

probly gona scratch that lower tube and bend it all the around the corner following the same contour as upper. then bend it back to the top tube just before the tire.

idealy id rather not do this because that takes way some aproach angle but then again id rather not wipoe out the corner body mounts either.

even though the center of the bumper is lower i want good apraoch angles at the tires because thats where ill be line up on rocks and tires n stuff.

another thing i think i decided to do while i sitn there lookin at it is to run a couple tubes under the body mounts and plate it so that it can slide over obsticales wihtout getting hung up as bad.

the ends will be tied to the inside of the fender and bolted to frame so this should be pretty strong with two tubes running from the front tube under the corner than the back inside the fender.

check out this link, hmmmmmmm that looks pretty good to me. might scrap my original idea now

http://www.pirate4x4.com/productrevi...m//002_00A.JPG

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 05:58 PM

I will try to make some time to take some pictures, hopefully it won't be too dark. My winch doesn't have that tall piece on it so it fits really well. Angles and everything else are completely unchanged from stock.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

now this what im talkin about [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

http://www.hunteroffroad.com/HunterO...ow%20front.JPG

these bumpers are closer to what im pictureing, but i dont want mine so bulky.
http://www.offroadtechinc.com/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Ryan90K2500

[ QUOTE ]
I had some one make me a winch plate that bolted up between my frame rails. The actual winch is behind the license plae and all you can see is the fairlead and the hook that I have hooked on to the factory tow hook. It is easily accessible. Maybe you are looking for something stronger and something with better approach angles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be very interested in seeing your setup and possibly rigging one just like it. Would I be able to get another winch plate made up from the same place you got yours? I don't have a winch yet but I am strongly considering one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 10:36 AM

My mile marker winch came with the Milemarker Jeep winch plate. I just measured in between my frame rails and cut the plate so that it would fit. I took it to my neighbor and he welded on some side caps (heavy steel). I drilled 3 holes in each cap and in the frame and bolted her up. It actually fits perfect but there is no room for error. The factory front skid plte has to come off (I have it for sale if anyone is interested).
I will try to get some pictures but I have been busy with my 2 jobs.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 03:15 PM

I dunno, I thought my approach angle was pretty good...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

tiss now,

i dont think mines going to be quite that good if i keep the grill.

cut those dang canceris control arm brackets off of there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

how long have you had coil overs in the front???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode