2003 2500 Silverado LT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

2003 2500 Silverado LT

Looking seriously at one for a tow rig for the Jeep and trailer. Will she be OK with the load, what are the trucks pros and cons. This will replace the Dodge Ram 2500 that I have now

I appreciate every ones input on this.

Thanks
C-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2003 2500 Silverado LT

How is the truck equipped? (engine, tranny, gear ratio) How heavy is your trailer w/Jeep when it's ready to roll? Over the Dodge I'd say the pros are more comfortable seats and much smoother highway ride. Cons?[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

the truck is the HD version w/ the 6.0 motor (gas)4 speed auto and 4.10s if Im right. The rig and trailer Im guessing is about 4,500 lbs or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 10:45 AM

Well for the load you stated here.....it will work like a champ. I have the same setup and am very happy with it towing here and there for recreational needs. IF you tow large loads daily the 6.0 liter is not the engine for you. Like I said....the 6.0 is good for here and there towing....works great for my travel trailer and utility trailer with 4 wheelers.

If you go jacking the heck out of it and putting on 35's or something, don't expect it to tow worth a damn...if towing performance is important to you, leave it in stock configuration! (or darn close)

I am a little disappointed in the gas mileage while towing though....I got about 8-9 mpg last trip [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] (650 miles roundtrip) with the travel trailer behind me. I took it relatively easy and did use a/c some. They really should give you more than 24 gallon capacity in the fuel tank with mileage like that....

BTW....I get maybe 13 mpg on a regular basis when not towing. City/highway mix.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:13 AM

i would look more a chevy with a duramax under the hood.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i thought the 6l's were getting pretty good mpg when empty. 13 isnt very good at all. is that around town driving or alittle of interstate to.

my 5.7 running 35s was getting 18plus running down the interstate. 12-14 in town. when towing cut those around town figures in half
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:58 PM

That is a mix of town/highway driving.....I have managed to get 15 once or twice with all highway (going 65ish) and no a/c on. But 13 is much more typical.

My Suburban gets 17 to 18 on the highway with the 5.7.....but towing gets around 9-10. Had a 92' fullsize Blazer with 5 speed and 5.7 and got 20-21 on the highway!

MPG figures are very much a direct result of speed too....80 mph will get you lousy figures while 65 mph will give you 10% or more better mpg. (on a stock rig)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Yeaa, Im not really a lead foot, usually do the speed limit or close to it. Is there anything that I should be aware of ans in trans or motor troubles? Ive heard about a piston slap issue. What is that, and was that fixed with this year? Any thing else, TSBs maybe?

Thanks again guys
C-
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 10:29 AM

There are a TON of TSB's as I imagine there are with pretty much every vehicle on the road....

I am fairly certain the piston slap issue you speak up was resolved in the 03' models finally....or at least that is what I have heard. Mine has 30k miles on it and does not make any noise. I had a 99' new body style with 5.3 liter and it sounded like a diesel for 30 seconds every morning [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Got rid of it for that reason and the 5.3 was useless towing at highway speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode