Rebuilt motor. Right here, right now! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Rebuilt motor. Right here, right now!

This happened:
So I had the whole engine machined and have been rebuilding it for the last week in the evenings. This is the result:

I'm going to try to get it in and hooked up tomorrow granted that things go smoothly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:54 PM

Re: Rebuilt motor. Right here, right now!

Ooohh, its so...perty [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 02:41 AM
IchWarrior

What kind of headers are those?

And my god man! Its pink! :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

what is it

alright im gona take a stab at it, its either a 350 or 383 running vortec heads and a edlebrock tbi to vortec intake, howd i do. it took me a second look to see what was there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

The headers are Hedman Elite (ceramic) series. The COLOR is not pink, it's Chevy Engine Red, which I believe was only used from 55-57'. You guys will probably be disappointed in me but... stock heads... stock intake. I did however put a mild (RV) Comp-Cam in it, and along with the headers it should breathe a little better even without an extra $1500 worth of heads & intake. A virtual dyno showed it making about 250 horsepower & about 450 pound/feet of torque. It may not be a monster, but it beats no compression in cylinder 7 because the piston blew up!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's a sweet looking mill Mike. I like that vintage color that you chose. You sig says it's in, I want some in pics.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just went to Hedman's site, those are some nice headers, I'd never heard of their Elite series.

That's impressive that you were able to still re-use that block and head after that piston popped.

At work our C-65 bucket truck just got a new 366 tall deck big block. The exhaust valve in the #2 cylinder dropped down, the piston absolutely beat the crap outta things with it. The piston was shattered, the head was cracked, the block split between #2 & #4, the connecting rod for #2 looked like a limp noodle. I think the crank was toast too. The day after it happened (we towed it back to the shop) it had coolant leaking out the rear main seal [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:35 AM

How many miles did you have on the old engine? Did you do the whole tear down?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:07 PM

The cam and headers are a nice little addition. They're the pain-in-the-butt little mods that you've got taken care of.

I also second the nice job about usng the block after losing a piston. When I blew mine, I had pieces of metal that gouged the inside walls of the cylinder that made my engine a great boat anchor [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

The gouge in cylinder 7 wasn't even 10 thousandths deep, so no problem going 30 over.

It is in the truck, and I'm going to try to get completely done tonight and get her fired up tomorrow right after work, granted that my oil cooler line fittings come in!

The old engine had 191,000 on it, and from the looks of things had never been out or even had so much as the intake off.

I tore the engine down & rebuild it myself with the help of 2 friends, one with at least 40 years engine building experience, so that helped. But all in all, it was pretty straight forward. You can't really beat the simplicity of a 350.

I'll let you guys know when it's running and how awesome it sounds with open headers! (until I can get it to the exhaust shop)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

is that a stock intake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode