Update: Edelbrock IAS Twin-Tube shocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Update: Edelbrock IAS Twin-Tube shocks

Some of you may rembember this thread from a while back. I purchased four of these shocks for my truck, and the back 2 are shot after being on the truck for 6 months. I first noticed the clunk in the rear after 1 month of driving, but just now discovered that it was the shocks. We tried everything to get rid of the clunk, but never even suspected the shocks since they were new. They both freely move up and down, almost like they're empty, but no fluid leaking. Anyway, if any of you have these and are getting a clunk in the rear, check em out, they may be your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:35 PM

Re: Update: Edelbrock IAS Twin-Tube shocks

Yeah I was starting to think something like that was the case for mine too. I bought mine during Summit's sale on the IASs back in Nov or Oct. I do have that clunk in the rear and it did come shortly after they were installed. And, when I go over bumps, I sure do have a lot of waviness in my truck - tt's a freaking short wheel base. It shouldn't feel like 25' raft on open waters [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I guess no luck in getting any kind of warranty or rebate of sorts from anyone involved (manf or distributor) huh?

What you replace yours with?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:08 AM

I though that the IAS shocks have a lifetime warrenty. I purchased a set and at first all was well. Now I am also having the wavy affect...it has only been about 3 months for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:50 AM

I read on Edelbrock's site they do have a lifetime warranty, but from what I was reading, it's a big ol' pain in the butt and would be easier just buying new shocks and replacing them. Here, let me find the link:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...warranty.shtml

[ QUOTE ]

General Warranty

It is the constant endeavor of the Edelbrock Corporation to give our customers the highest quality products obtainable. Edelbrock warrants each new product, except Edelbrock Crate Engines, Performer Series Carburetors, Race Division Parts, Stainless Steel Tubular Exhaust Systems and Edelbrock IAS Shock Absorbers which are warranted separately, to be free from defects in both workmanship and material for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase, provided that the product is properly installed, subjected to normal use and service and that the product is not modified or changed in any way, nor damaged because of negligence by customer or installer or used for racing or competition purposes. Our warranty service and repair facility is located at 2700 California Street, Torrance, California 90503. Customers who believe they have a defective product should either return it to the dealer from which it was purchased or ship it directly to Edelbrock Corporation along with proof of purchase and a complete description of the problem. The product must be returned freight prepaid. If a thorough inspection of the product by the factory indicates defects in workmanship or material, our sole obligation shall be to repair or replace the product. Warranty covers only the product itself and not the cost of installation or removal. For details on the Edelbrock Crate Engines please click here.

Edelbrock IASŪ, Strut and Extended Travel, Shock Absorbers Limited Lifetime Warranty

Edelbrock Corporation guarantees for a limited lifetime each new Edelbrock IAS shock absorber including Strut & Extended Travel applications to be free from factory defects (except for finish and shock boot) from date of purchase, provided that the product is properly installed, subjected to normal use and service and that the product is not modified or changed in any way, negligence by customer or installer, or used for racing or competition purposes. Should a part become defective, it should be returned to the original selling dealer or shipped freight prepaid to Edelbrock Corporation. It must be accompanied with the sales receipt and a clear description of the problem. This warranty is void on shocks used in racing applications except for known, proven defects in material or workmanship. Edelbrock Corporation reserves the right to replace or repair the defective part and return said part freight prepaid. This warranty covers the replacement or repair of the product only and does not cover the cost of removal and installation. Damage or defects resulting from collision, improper installation, off-road use, road hazards or racing, are not covered by this warranty. The warranty for Edelbrock IAS shock absorber including Strut & Extended Travel applications extends only to the original purchaser only for the lifetime of the original vehicle in which it is installed.

[/ QUOTE ]

And after all this, do I really want Edelbrock shocks again after the ones I just installed in the Fall are already crappin' out? Oh yeah, I don't have the Summit receipt anymore, I don't think. They got tossed by the smarties that installed them at the dealership. $125 install down the drain. I only have the credit card statement and order history on the Summit website.

Edit: I just shot off an email to Customer Service at Summit and I'm waiting on an answer. In the meantime, reading on their site, they do do returns for warranty. But that means, me removing shocks from the truck, then sitting around waiting for new shocks to arrive. Meantime, the truck is shockless and sitting disabled, hopefully at my house. And I don't want those crappy Edelbrock shocks again.

What shocks should I get that are actually going to last? I did see some nice Bilsteins for $80ea.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 07:01 PM

Hah, just as I figured. The respnse was "Fill out the Return Form and enclose it with your shocks and send them to us UPS or USPS". Uhuh.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Addict

Check out Dick Cepek shocks 77 series for off road use. Or 88 series for mostly street use. I also put a set of Monroe Reflex on my 95 burb, and like them well.

Extreme Suspensions
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:29 PM

Well crap this sucks... i haven't even got mine put on yet.. they are still in the box... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:08 PM

Any chance you could describe the clunk in the rear? I don't have those shocks but I have been getting a noise from the rear of my truck as I drive or brake that sounds like metal clanging and I cant seem to get a pattern on the noise, meaning I really only get the noise at random and it sounds like there is some small bits of metal falling off the truck although that is not what is actually happening.

Any guesses?

I am just hoping it could be a shock at this point as that would be an easy fix.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I haven't replaced my shocks with anything. My rear springs are so stiff that when I drove it without rear shocks I didn't notice any real difference. I'm in the middle of rebuilding the motor right now, so I'm not driving it, but when I start, I'll figure something out.

AND you're right, it's too big of a hassle to return something mail-order. Especially when they were so cheap. If we returned them we'd probably get about $5 back after shipping. IMO: N O T W O R T H I T
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:26 PM

kdog, stand on the rear bumper and bounce the truck. At the top of the bounce you should hear a thump/clunk. You should be able to hear it while driving and the truck slightly bounces from the road. When I first did this, I was surprised and worried that I didn't order the long shocks for the 6" lift. But the other side was fine, and the truck was fine immediately after having the shocks installed. So, something internal went horribly wrong shortly after some daily driving.

I'm not sending my shocks in. That's money wasted on shipping.

Uhgg, I don't want to spend money on shocks right now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I'm going to be spending $800 building a pistol at the end of the month, gotta purchase a $1k plane ticket to Japan, I might have to take the truck in for work on the rear...geez! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode