I think Im going to make the plunge... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 12:15 PM
IchWarrior

I think Im going to make the plunge...

And go ahead with a lift kit for my GMC. Only going to keep it a small 2.5 Skyjacker... it just bugs me to have a low rider truck compared to all the newer trucks that come pretty damn tall from the factory.

Its a 92, so Ill get to play with my IFS again, so it should prove very interesting.

Is it worth the money to get the expensive Skyjacker shocks, (Nitros I think) or would the cheaper one's suffice for a while?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 12:35 PM

Re: I think Im going to make the plunge...

My personal opinion is to go a little taller....something more in the 4" range....after all, how often do ya hear someone say "dang I went too tall and regret it"? (within reason)

It will still behave fine on the road....and be just a little "beefier" looking.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 02:01 PM
IchWarrior

I dont have the money to go that tall...

Otherwise I probably would =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 02:46 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Why not save up a little longer and then go for the bigger lift and tires? I'm thinking it shouldn't take too terribly long to amass enough. I suspect you'd be happier in the long run that way.</font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 03:06 PM

I would give it maybe a month before you were regreting not going bigger. If all you want is to look taller crank the T bars or something.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 06:24 PM
IchWarrior

Torqing my T bars aint gonna give me no 2 inches of lift. Im really not sure Ill regret dropping the 1.3K on a lift kit to get another 1.5" or 2" from it. Im just not that big of a fan of big lifts.

If the costs were closer together, I would probably consider it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You can get a Dick Cepek 6.5" for like 1100-1200. 2.5" lift is like what 400 bucks? I'd just crank the T-bars.
I've came to the conclusion my t-bars are cranked, I parked next to another K1500 like mine at the mall, only he had 265's are so, and my front end is about 2" higher than his.
But I also have 285/75's wrapped around 16x8's. No rubbing at all even under max IFS Articulation lol
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Torqing my T bars aint gonna give me no 2 inches of lift

[/ QUOTE ]

Says who? Ever seen one beside a stock truck? they look lifted about 2". Buying a whole kit just for 2" seems impractical. I leveled the front of my F-150 and everyone thinks it has a 2" lift kit on it. Crank the T bars and throw on some add a leaves and you basicly have a 2" lift.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 10:14 PM
bmxking5

[ QUOTE ]
Torqing my T bars aint gonna give me no 2 inches of lift.

[/ QUOTE ]
On my dad's 93 Z71, he was able to crank the T bars almost 3" up to level it out and give a 1.5" lift. He added a 1.5" block in the rear. If he wanted, he could crank them up a little bit more b/c the bolt isn't maxed out yet.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 03:08 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Torqing my T bars aint gonna give me no 2 inches of lift.

[/ QUOTE ]
On my dad's 93 Z71, he was able to crank the T bars almost 3" up to level it out and give a 1.5" lift. He added a 1.5" block in the rear. If he wanted, he could crank them up a little bit more b/c the bolt isn't maxed out yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man.. that's a lot of cranking. Talk about 0 down travel... not to mention, what it will cost in parts replacement from wear.. he may as well paid for an quality lift. That thing must ride like a basketball.

To each, his own, I guess... it's just not what I'd ever do. I've been running a TM 4" sus. lift on my 97 since 99, and all I've had to replace is tires... although I think it may be getting time for new shocks soon. Oh, and I did have to replace the sway bar spacers a couple of times because they wanted to abandon ship.. now it's not even connected on one side.. I just have not gotten around to taking it out completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode