Wheres the Evaporator Core? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Wheres the Evaporator Core?

Ok where exactly is my Evaporator Core? Its leak aswell as my Compressor. So the shop wants $1199.00 to fix that, put a new dryer, o rings, evacuate and charge... Ahahah NO WAY in hell I'm spending that, so today I plan on putting a new compressor and Evaporator Core in... Problem is the shop said it takes almost 5 hrs to do the evaporator core since he said he has to take my dash apart to get to it... I THOUGHT it was under the glove box in the hvac ducts, above your feet on the passenger side??? I remember having the cover off last year and thought thats what it was... Or is that the heater core? Need to know asap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wheres the Evaporator Core?

Heater core is behind the glove box in the ducting. Go ahead and write the man his check. It's strongly recommended that you do not just swap new A/C parts on, it's a closed system (unless it leaks), if there is any kind of debris in there it could go straight into the new parts and fubar them as well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thats why I am going to put them on and then take it there and let them do the vacuum, evacuation and charge. Also let them do the dryer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Signal Tech

i worked on auto A/C exclusively for 12 years. Unless you've actually SEEN these components leaking, don't believe it. The compressor,yeah, it's possible, but in my experience, it's normally the shaft seal (inexpensive part) in the compressor which is quite easily replaced with proper tools.
I'd bet the farm that your evaporator is NOT leaking.
In my experience, what these mechanics will do is diagnose a couple of very expensive parts, then if replacing them doesn't fix it, they've got a little "pad" to work with. Remember, R134A is relatively cheap, so unless you have a huge leak, get a set of gauges and learn how to recharge your system. Also, if you do have a very large leak, the most effective leak finding tool is a mixture of water and clear (MUST be clear...any color, but clear) dishwashing soap. Just squirt the mix on your A/C components and it'll bubble like mad wherever it's leaking. I've used this stuff with more success than $500 electronic leak detectors. Of course you can't check the evap. as it's uinder the dash, but it's highly doubtful that it's leaking. Also, typically where refrigerant leaks, so does refrigeration oil, and of course dirt sticks to oil, so look for dirty or oily areas on and around your system.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode