Rear Tire Wobbles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Rear Tire Wobbles

Well, I've seen my rear dside tire wobble a bit as I cruise down the road. Also, at road speed 50mph or so, I can feel a rhythmic "catch" type bump. I'm paranoid again it is the rear diff. I'm hoping it is just the outer bearings in the axle. I'm also thinking its the axle shaft, maybe crooked. The other rear tire does not exhibit wobbly signs.

The other thing the wobble could be is a crooked tire/wheel.

I can't check it out as I have no floor jack...and both rears gotta be up to spin the tires.

Blah I don't wanna deal with that junk...the rear...bearings...brake disassembly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 01:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rear Tire Wobbles

Hmmm, well sounds like you've thought of everything that I have. I'm thinking bent wheel, block it up, run it, yadata-yadata.

It's a pisser you don't have a jack. I guess you could use the stocker... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

It would be fabulous if it was a wheel. But do you think it would make the truck "catch" like I was feeling?

I need to make friends with good shops and tools. I seriously doubt any of the spouses in the Wives Club know what the heck tools their husband has [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The other option is to cave (oh no, I'm so sad) and go get a set of stands and jack [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] But my other half still wasn't on board with me stocking up my garage just yet. Can't push him too far over the edge just yet. I'm going to start building a pistol so I'm going to need as much good grace (and cash) as possible [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:04 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">When's he leave on deployment? Right about that time, you can safely start stocking the garage, then you'll have a while after that to come up with an explanation as to how it got there... "Honestly, the truck broke and it was cheaper to get this stuff than to have someone else work on it..."

As far as this:[ QUOTE ]
I need to make friends with good shops and tools. I seriously doubt any of the spouses in the Wives Club know what the heck tools their husband has

[/ QUOTE ] That sounds like a good idea, but the phrasing of such could lead someone to make an inappropriate joke. I'm proud of myself for being able to refrain from such (insert sound of someone patting one's self on the back in congratulations)...

You might want to check out a rental shop to see if they can get you a jack and a pair of stands fairly reasonbly for a day. An other option is to try and find some sort of shop that offers free estimates and let them try to figure it out. Hopefully it's something easy.</font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

heehee I made it too easy huh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

As for stocking up on stuff when he's gone, that's a big YES. He already knows it too. He just keeps walking around the house mumbling "I'm going to come home to more/lots of/another (insert item here) aren't I" (Items: Lab, guns, truck parts, unrecognizable Tahoe, although I said it would still be black)

Actually Sandman, with the last paragraph there, you just reminded me of the Auto hobby shop on base. Anyone can go in and use the garage for maintenance and repairs. The only thing I would need to provide is the labor and parts. There's even a tire balancer there, but only the shop guys are allowed to use it, so they charge like a $3 per tire. Not bad for a quick check.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Miller

i doubt it the the wheel, ive got a few flat spots and my wheels arent exackly round but there tires are and i have no wobble syndrome,

but if th wheel is horroblye bent youl for sure be able to tell if you put it on the front and get movn at road speeds. i still think youl never notice a slightly bent wheel.

hmmmmm im thinking 9.5 rar end yours is a 10 bolt isnt it. you mignt have some worn bearings. i do know the 9.5s have some play and will clunk everyounce inawhile. if i jack up the truck if got some in and out movent when i grab the tire and pull.

i also think that i let alot of little things go because my trucks so sloppy. little things id never notice like you would
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode