MOOG problem solver parts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

MOOG problem solver parts

Several times I have seen you guys and gals talk about your MOOG front end parts. I am having to replace mt idler arm for the 5 th time since I have owned this truck. Every time I take it offroad and have some fun it develops a lot of play in the idler and pitman arms. I don't beat the truck and mostly go over all the big stuff, don't laugh Jason, very slow.
Do the MOOG parts really work? Are they worth the money to try to find them and slap them on the truck? Where have you guys seen these and are they a good deal? Also what is the three bolt idler arm mod all about. I read the Kid talking about it but don't know what it is.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:06 PM

Re: MOOG problem solver parts

All the four wheel drive shops around here have them, as MOOG does make a very good product. I beleive you can also get them at any Goodyear Tire dealership.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:19 PM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I think later models had a 3-bolt idler, but that's just where it bolts into the frame. Sure it might be a little stronger with 3 bolts, but that's not where you get your wear from, the wear is in the bushing between the idler support & idler. & yes MOOG is the way to go. A steering stabliizer would be a good investment for you too. It will help with the steering wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:53 PM

I use MOOG as well on all 4 of my ball joints. The uppers are fine and the lowers have a little play after a few years of having the lift kit installed. The nice thing is the lifetime warranty. At $32 and $34 each, its just a nice little piece of change in the pocket.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

What makes them so good? Are they any beefer? I have the AutoZone lifetime warranty ones so I keep getting free ones. Also, my truck did not come stock with a steering stabilizer. I know Shorts was asking this, how would it go on. I see in the LMC catalog that they have one but I believe it bolts to a lift kit.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

im undecided on moog parts, im not positive but i think moog makes NAPA front end parts. ive ran moog and the regular off the shelf parts and got about the same results. they all wear out fast on the ifs front ends. couldnt tell you if the moog wears slower than the other parts or not.

i do know anything with a lifetime warranty is very good. or else id of had to pay for around 20 idler arms and a few pitman arms. ball joints seem to outlat the steering stuff. only relaced them twice.

ive got a moog pitman arm sitn in the garage unused and ready to go on the 91. then itl also(maybe) get the 3bolt idler wich is similar but is desinged better and is suposebly known to last longer.

other than that yes idlers are sloppy only after 1 or two trips off road after inistalling. there are pretty much junk and dont work for sh!!!!!!t i changed a hole bunch with the warranty deal then i got tired of it and let them go. who needs tight idler amr anyways.

Evan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:39 AM

The question I have since I had to replace all these parts recently cause my truck was shaking like crazy down the road is how do I know when the arts are wearing out. I really don't know how to check for that and would like to know howw to check each part, tie rod, idler, pitman, so that I can be repalcing parts be for I put my family at risk.
Thanks for the info in advance.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Miller

these you check with the truck sitn on the ground, have some turn your steering wheel while you cral under neath, truck doesnt een have to be running for this.

have them turn left to right in the free play of the steering wheel. there will more than likly be some but not much play between the steering center link and the pitman idler arm, if theres more than 1/4" of freeplau in the joints replace them. if you watch the pitman arm youl see it move then catch ounce the center link restricks it. same with the idler. also check the tie rod ends like this.

dont ever check the idler when the truck in the air because it will look like its got gobs of up and down play, even fairly new one. they all look worn out with no wait on the truck.

ball joints you chek with the front end in the air. you grab the tire at upper and lowedst point and push and pull. normaly you wont have any slop. but if there worn youl feel a kinda clunking back and forth. uppers are easy to change and usualy were at twice as fast as the lowers.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 06:41 PM

Would you go with factory chevy or moog parts? I get chevy stuff at cost and moog parts at a discounted price. My front end is getting loose and it's time for some new parts.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i would never buy front end parts sold from chevy, more then likly they are farmed out to one of major parts makers and sold at a higher price than what youd get at any parts store like NAPA or schucks or any of those.

even moog makes NAPA front end parts. so who knows what all parts are the same out there and we dont know it. i do know that when ive been forced to go to chevy for dealer only parts that its been exspensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode