Installed Carr Hoop II steps - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Installed Carr Hoop II steps

So today I finally decided I should put the stupid steps on my stupid truck since they've been riding around in the back seat pretty much since the day they arrived from Ebay..err FedEx or whoever delivrered them I don't know, I'm drinkingtequia tonight so, bear with me.

Those of you old enough to know, I had Carr Hoop II stes on my truck, in aluminum color. Until some tard decidedto change lanes to get around a stopped car turning left. I drove over his fender and hood and bumper. The damage to my truc was a scuff of paint on the bottom of my rocker from the top of his fender.....and broke off the dside step. I must say, compliments to Carr for building a good setup. I expected to get out of the truck and see my rocker torn to hell and back. But, no, the step just snapped off at the arms, and the mounting points were were unmoved! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Anyway, so back to today when i decidedto put them on. I had no excuses since I picked up a new drill bit set from our new Home Depotthat opened..amen. So anyway, I"m pissed at Carr now. The difference in quality of product since '98 when I bought my first set of steps tonow, well just sux. And they sure didn't send any price discounts the customers way. They still cost the same...yet, they're chincy.

The "old" steps are a full one piece aluminum. The newer productions are not. You have to attach these metal brackets on, with self tapping screws and nuts and nolts. How cheap is that! Anyway, drilling the holes was a real pain in the butt. Originally, I was to purchase a new set of steps and just bolt them into the existing holes. I ended up using one set of existing holes, yet having to drill a billion others.

Origginal:

New:

Compared:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 02:47 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

Re: Installed Carr Hoop II steps

Did I motivate you to quit bein' a lazy butt & work on your truck? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I can't say that I really like the idea of attaching steps to the body instead of a pre-existing mount like the body mounts, but if they work, they work.

P.S. How are you liking the TwinTube shocks? Mine don't feel any different than the Heckethorns I had... BUT then again a torsion bar lift & add-a-leafs don't exactly smooth out the ride.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Both my dad and I were skeptical of body mounted steps when we first installed them. Not telling how strong they would be. Since it was mainly me getting in and out, there wouldn't be heavy weight punding on it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But after that accident that just tore off the step, I was alright with them. I shortly called my dad and told him about it, he was as shocked as I was. He didn't believe how the rockers didn't give when I drove to CC for the weekend and he finally got to check out the damage.

When I removed that old step and shims that sat between the step and the rocker, they were still "set" in there with dirt and whatnot. But it was as stable as the day we put them on. Checking out the rockers, there wasn't any kind of damage or scratches where the steps sat against them.

The chocks, they are good. Although I'm not so sure how well they are doing. I have a nasty bounce on the dside rear, I think the stock tops off [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] My frame is crooked. But whe I first put them on, it was nice. I had those old shocks on there for so long I forgot what new shocks should feel like [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 04:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

They look good, but definately some major cost cutting efforts! I think you need Jason to fab up some nerf bars lol
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

how do you like the edlebrock shocks, do you have em all the way around.

truck looks great. ive always loved the color and youve got it set up about perfect, other than than those steps. they will fubar that cab if theyre hit hard enough just right. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:02 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I have a clunk in the rear too but I never imagined it could be a shock topping out. They're made for 4-6", and I only have 4" in back. That would make sense though since we can't find anything else wrong back there. I should pull em off & drive it (once it drives again)... Thanks for the idea.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Yup, Edelbrocks all the way around. I bought 'em when Summit had them on their Sale email for subscribers. Each was $20 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] How could I NOT buy them?

MSF, I found my top out to be the clunk by just standing on the bumper and bouncing the rear in the driveway. I was a bit put off about it. Here these shocks are, made for a 6" lift and I'm still topping out. That doesn't seem right though. The side that clunks is the low side of the crookedness. So the top out noise is odd. If anything, I would expect to bottom out.

Cody, I wanted to go with a black set of bars, but I ran across these on ebay for $30 Buy It Now...again, how could I pass that up?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Then I opened them up...well, I didn't wanna waste money, so I put them on.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I always thought those body-mounted steps and "nerf bars" were hardc0r3. Nerf bars should be mounted to the frame and grandpa steps should be left to grandpas and their Ford Rangers.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Sure thing, I think I'll go change my stuff now 'cause Wrath doesn't like them. I guess they're not just for Grandpas and Ford Rangers anymore because they work for me.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 03:02 PM

Sadly, the Carr steps have deff goen down in craftsmanship, like almost everything else. My step dad has the uperhoops on his Ram, put on in 96. Real solid, not even comparable to the steps they make now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode